CPU question!

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
:hello: Hi, my question is:

How do you think the CPU will evolve from now on?

More cores per processor or new super fast hi frequencies. I heard that they are trying to build a processor that uses light instead of metal (alloy) conductors. - that would be super fast!

Please share what you know, i hope to see some interesting answers.

Enjoy your overclocking

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Probably use more cores. The heat generated by higher frequencies (which require more voltage) has more and more of an impact on the transistors, wiring, and other components of a processor as they become smaller through die shrinks. More cores may be the answer - as Moore's Law states, the number of transistors that can be crammed into a chip increases exponentially, indefinitely. If they cannot be used to garner higher clock frequencies, they can be used for more cores, which will create more heat, but not locally, and the heat is more controllable through efficient cooling. In other words, as much or more heat is generated, but it is not intense heat emanating from one small area, it is less intense heat coming for all over the chip. Under efficient cooling, this can be controlled, creating a reliable system.

The problem is, it is difficult bordering on impossible to well-optimize software for multi-core systems. Most notably in games, but relevant in almost all demanding computational tasks, is that it is impossible to predict how every, or even a majority, of situations how the load will be applied to the system. A game programmer cannot accurately predict the number or nature of the calculations required at any given time, even within the boundaries of the game, so it is easy for cores to become swamped or left unused. This is a problem now with multi-core and multi-threaded systems, especially the Core i7. Much of it's theoretical performance capability doesn't translated into reliable performance much of the time.

Another possible answer is more instructions per clock, but we seem to be reaching the limits of the possible optimizations in the x86 system.

We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Eventuall they will have to move to a new technology for fabrication - even now they are stuggling to find ways to make die shrinks possible.

Smaller manufacturing means more cores per die and less power to run, giving the end user more performance for their cash.

Eventually there will be newer technlogies - light is possible.... so too is the idea of neural processors (long way off yet)

Zenthar

Distinguished
The "more core" trend will probably stop at 4 cores for mainstream, even today we still debate about the usefulness of quad vs dual ... IMO the reason why quads are so popular now is that they are cheap and OC well. The problem with cores is that to take advantage of them you need to multi-thread applications and doing that takes much more effort than single-thread.

I think the future of chips will probably be toward more "specialized" cores rather than general purpose ones. In the end, we might end-up with 32 cores CPU, but some will have "dedicated" tasks like memory management, graphics, ...

ulysses35

Distinguished
I remember seeing somewhere that Intel will be using the Xeon range to bring 8 cores to the market - and depending how successfull they are the mainstream market will follow.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Yeah, but the enterprise world is quite different than the average Joe's. Many enterprise applications have been multi-threaded for years because of high-end multi-cpu machines. Now with virtualisation, the need is ever increasing ... imagine replacing a room full of test PC (often crappy old employee workstations) by a single boosted machine ... you can save lots of maintenance.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Soon we will have 64-core processors made with 1/16th nm architechture running at 400 Terahertz.

And we'll still be bitching about how hard it is to run Crysis.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

HA HA you are funny. You mean Crysis 24 :heink: ...right?

:lol: :lol: :lol: