Kingston SSDNow V Series TRIM Question

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hey All,

So recently I've purchased ssd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139133. Mounted, installed win 7 x64 so all runs perfect BUT I just started reading about TRIM support and I'm some kind lost in the woods.

I know the overall function of the TRIM. What I don't know is do I have to do any extra steps to have it enabled??? My ssd does support TRIM and win 7 I designed for TRIM so NOW- Is there any extra necessary step I have to do to enable TRIM function or its automatic?!?!

BTW. Is it normal that I get 6.5 on Win 7 Score for my hard drive?!?! - Shouldn't that be 7.9?

Thanks in advance.

tecmo34

Administrator
There is a method to verify TRIM is enable but I'm lost on what it is at the moment. One quick way to check is to verify that Defrag has been diabled. If it has been diabled, I would say TRIM is running and there is nothing you need to do further.

As for your score... I would say it is pretty close. I get a 7.3 for my Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD, which is a much better drive. I don't think any of them get 7.9's...

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
FYI for all that are not sure of if their TRIM is enabled:

Command prompt > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

so the software you mentioned is the best way to check?!?!

Thanks

sub mesa

Distinguished
You can use AS SSD to check which driver you use; intel or microsoft (msahci). Those two and only those two support TRIM for now; as far as i know that is. AS SSD also shows if your partitions are aligned properly (... KB - OK) and not (...KB - BAD).

The other utility checks TRIM capability on the SSD itself, CrystalDiskMark. There is no real way of checking if TRIM works because the SSD does not send acknowledgment of TRIM commands sent to the SSD; it doesn't have to.

So real easy way trim works YES / NO; though both AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark are valuable utilities for any SSD owner on Windows.