Dec 8, 2008
Hi all.

I build a new rig yesterday consisting of;

Intel C2D E8400 @ 3Ghz (stock)
Asus P5Q Pro motherboard
OCZ 4GB PC2-8500 RAM
EVGA GTX260-216
Enermax Modu82+ 625W PSU

It's been running flawlessly. I was gaming for 2-3 hours last night and it was perfect. I decided to run Prime95 before I went to bed to really stress the system out and make sure it is stable. I woke up this morning to check and it seems it failed one of the tests just ~ 1 hour into testing. Everything in the BIOS is @ auto/stock settings.

Screenshot;

2evwbk1.jpg

How do I view the stress.txt file?
What do I do now?

My first guess would be that the RAM isn't getting enough voltage. What is the exact model number of your RAM kit? Is it one of these kits?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=OCZ+4GB+PC2-8500&x=0&y=0

All of those kits require at least 2v and around 5-5-5-18 timings. You said everything is set on auto in the BIOS. You should manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS. Set those and run Prime95 again.

This could also indicate that the heat-sink isn't seated properly causing the CPU to overheat under load. You might want to post your idle/load temps.

GSD

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

The RAM is this one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298&Tpk=OCZ2P10664GK

Since I made this thread my PC crashed while playing CoD4 - the screen just went a grey/black colour and the game sounds kept repeating, etc.
I restarted the PC and the grey/black screen was still there and the motherboard made an alarm sound - 1 long beep, followed by 3 small beeps.
I restarted the PC yet again and it booted into

GSD

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Sorry I accidently clicked "submit" halfway through my post. :lol:

Thanks for the replies.

The RAM is this one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298&Tpk=OCZ2P10664GK

Since I made this thread my PC crashed while playing CoD4 - the screen just went a grey/black colour and the game sounds kept repeating, etc.
I restarted the PC and the grey/black screen was still there and the motherboard made an alarm sound - 1 long beep, followed by 3 small beeps.
I restarted the PC yet again and it booted into Windows fine but I got this message in Vista;

2eyymj7.jpg

After this happened I rebooted and put everything to AUTO in the BIOS. I've now just finished playing CoD4 and it's been stable for the last few hours.
The only settings I had on manual in the BIOS was the timings (which I had at 5-5-5-15) and the DRAM frequency which was set at 1066MHz - they are now on AUTO.

I will run memtest86 later but will continue gaming for a while and see if it crashes again.

This is what CPU-Z is showing right now;

zkhern.jpg

2cx6ss1.jpg

x1lix0.jpg

Is that all correct? I know the CPU is only running at 2Ghz, it's EIST doing that.

GSD

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008

No, I will do soon. I've just been stressing it out by gaming and making sure it doesn't crash again in CoD4.
I will run memtest86 and Prime95 tonight.

GSD

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I went into the motherboard and set the DRAM frequency to 1066 and set the voltage manually to 2.1v with 5-5-5-15 timings. I then ran memtest86 for about 1.5 hrs (3 passes) and it found no errors. I will do it for longer tonight and use Prime95 but so far (touch wood) it seems pretty stable.
Maybe it just needed more voltage?