System Upgrade - Need some Help

DevilDog016

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hello there! My first topic :hello:
I've been planning an upgrade for a couple of months now and I'm really hard pressed to do it because of all the games coming out - GTA 4, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, etc - and I also want to start using the PC for other things than gaming: making videos, converting them, etc.
My current config is pretty good, but I'm on an AMD platform ( Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @3GHz and an M2N-32-Sli Deluxe mobo ) and everyone knows AMD is slowly dying because Intel is not only ahead of AMD by a long way, but they rob AMD blind ( example: the "New Technology" i7's from Intel have the same TLB problems as... you guessed it, the AMD Q9600. Thats just sad. :( )
I've set out a rough sketch of what I want to change:
- change to Intel, most probably a Core2Quad Q9300 Yorkfield
- change the mobo to one of these:
- the ASUS P5Q Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299
- the ASUS P5Q http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131295
- or the ASUS P5QL Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131329
Most people told me that my best choice would be the P5Q Pro, it's a good deal and it takes the processor to its full capacity. My problem is: will I need a new PSU? I currently have a Chieftec CFT-600-14CS, it effortlessly runs my current config but I'm not sure if such a massive change in CPU and mobo won't bring it on its knees or cause a chain reaction that'll reduce my whole neighbourhood to atoms :D ... that would be...bad :eek:
I hope you guys can help me sort out this issue so as to get my new PC up and running before Xmas.
P.S.: Merry Xmas and a Happy new Year guys! :D

P5Q pro is a good choice. I don't think you listed a video card in there anywhere.

I don't see a CPU/MB upgrade requiring a new PSU at this point. Chieftec is an OK PSU generally, although I have no idea about your specific unit.

If it's an older 600W unit that is light on the 12V rail, then ya you might want to upgrade. Your video card(s) will primarily determine what you need.

There are some suggestions in my sig.

Edit: With a 9800GTX+ you should be OK on the PSU. If you run into troubles overclocking, you could think about an upgrade then.

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
a very mellow 16yrl old cant wait to experience real gaming huh, good to see some among that age group exploring the best gaming platform. Anyway, why the Asus bias, try Gigabyte too, there prices tend to cheaper and the parts are durable too.

DevilDog016

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

I have no problem running all games I currently have on the shelf at more than good settings - except GTA4, that's about 50% why I'm upgrading - on more than good settings, online and offline. And I'm pro-ASUS because I've had a pretty expensive Gigabyte mobo about 2 years ago that had some faulty capacitors on it, the capacitors vented and pushed the rubber sealer band out, and leaked electrolyte on the mobo. Plus, I find the Gigabyte BIOS's UI layout much more cumbersome.

DevilDog016

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
What about Q6600? It's got only 100MHz freq. less than 9300 and a FSB of 1066, but its got higher cache (8mb versus Q9300's 6mb) and it's far more overclock-able than the Q9300. I have a friend who hit 3.2 GHz on the Q6600 with stock cooling, and 3.6 GHz with a $20 heatsink :eek: I'm thinking of getting the Q6600, it's better than the Q9300 overall, and it's $30 less :D