Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which heatsink for amd 955 BE?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 11, 2010 8:36:22 PM

I went ahead and ordered the amd 955 BE today from Newegg and am hoping that some of you can shed some light on what you believe to be a good heatsink + fan combo for this. I don't plan on overclocking at all, but just want to keep it cool and happy.

More about : heatsink amd 955

May 12, 2010 12:41:10 AM

stock =)

if you wanna just throw money at it then watercooling...possibly a kit from swiftech is good.

to lazy to watercool but dont want watercool...OR air cool >.> h50??

if you wanna air cool there are a crap load of HSs out there.
m
l
May 12, 2010 12:42:44 AM

I'm going through the same process. I installed an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler (with Arctic Silver 5 paste), which has been very well reviewed, but i didn't get the results i expected. While it runs much quieter than the stock fan, it doesn't keep the CPU as cool. It runs around 3-4 degrees higher than the stock fan.

I just got another HSF today - Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler. I'll install it later tonight to see if it runs cooler. I'll let you know if i have any luck.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2010 2:18:00 AM

>.> the stock heatsink for the 955 is quite good as it is...if you arent going to OC i dont see the need in getting a better HS. save that extra $30-70 and get your dad a nice fathers day gift.
m
l
May 12, 2010 2:48:53 AM

I'm not overclocking, but the stock HSF for the 955 is extremely loud for my standards. That's the only reason why i'm replacing it.
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:30:08 AM

For whatever reason, the Scythe SCKTN-3000 Katana 3 is running 5 degrees cooler than the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro while running Prime 95. I've only ran it for 15 minutes though. The noise is around the same. With smart fan enabled, the PC sounds nice and quiet.
m
l
May 12, 2010 7:53:15 AM

w/e makes you happy my friend =)
m
l
May 13, 2010 1:17:20 AM

nagle3092 said:
If your looking for silence and good cooling go with noctua. I would love to get the NH-D14 for overclocking but since your not I would sugguest http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products...

Wow, those seem really nice, but i already installed the new HSF. I suppose i could RMA it to newegg and then buy the Noctua. Their case fans seem really nice too. Darn you for making me want to complicate things and spend more money! ;) 
m
l
May 13, 2010 1:45:25 AM

HAHA dont worry I feel the same way I currently have the Zalman 9700 and I want that NH-D14 so bad. Even the middle ground one looks great and got great reviews.
m
l

Best solution

May 13, 2010 1:58:02 AM

nagle3092 said:
HAHA dont worry I feel the same way I currently have the Zalman 9700 and I want that NH-D14 so bad. Even the middle ground one looks great and got great reviews.

I know Zalmans are good fans, but i stayed away from them because i heard they were a pain to install. Being a first time builder, i get real nervous when i have to mess with the CPU and HSF because the mounting brackets never seem to snap on easily. They require a little force which makes me nervous. I heard the fins on the Zalmans are sharp and can cut you. It also makes it awkward to handle during the seating and mounting process. I wanted the installation to go as simply as possible.

I'm using the Scythe Katana 3 at the moment. It was the easiest one to install compared to the stock fan and the AC Freezer 64 that i tried so far. In terms of cooling, it's around the same as the stock cooler, but it's so much quieter. The stock fan on the Phenom II 955 spins at around 5k RPM and produces that loud whiny sound. The AC Freezer 64 ran almost 10 degrees hotter than the other 2 for some unknown reason.
May 13, 2010 3:18:50 AM

It does take a good amount of force to put it on and remove it thats for sure and I can tell you I have cut myself a couple times messing with it. But as far as a future purchase goes Im definitely going with Noctua.............maybe fathers day present for myself?
m
l
June 1, 2010 11:57:33 PM

Best answer selected by tehdrizzle.
m
l
!