Sign in with
Your question

Phenom Quad Overclock 2.6 to 3.2

Last response: in Overclocking
May 11, 2010 10:12:27 PM

Hey all i am a noob to overclocking, never really done it, I was wondering it was safe to overclock my AMD quad from 2.6 to 3.2.

What do i need to know? I use a 650W PSU and a Asus M3N72-D mobo.

More about : phenom quad overclock

May 12, 2010 1:11:11 AM

ummmm care to tell us what CPU you have?
m
l
a c 228 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 2:40:24 AM

Probably a Phenom 9950
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2010 3:52:47 AM

Yes it is a 9550. Sorry was at work so i couldn't remember the name.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 8:17:37 AM

Depends on how you define "safe".

Chances are you won't kill anything.. but I've seen many people make small mistakes and kill their chip or motherboard.. so it's only if the risk is worth the gain that you could class it as safe I guess.

But yeah.. the 9950 should be able to run at 3.2 without any problems. As far as I know you should be able to clock your CPU at 3.0 without having to play with voltages but if you get to that point and start having issues.. freezing, boot fails etc then the only way to make your chip stable is to give it more juice.. and that's when people can kill their hardware.

There are loads of overclocking tutorials already on the forum and they're much better than what I could write out. Give it a quick search and post here again if you have any issues.
m
l
a c 228 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 11:34:04 AM

The 9950 will easily run 3.2G rock solid, but not on stock air cooling, you'll need a descent aftermarket air cooling solution, to keep it as cool as possible.

m
l
May 12, 2010 4:01:19 PM

Thank you, two more questions. How high do you think the 9950 can run 'safely' or should is 3.2 good enough? Also what is a good aftermarket cooler that you recommend? I use a full ATX case that is huge...and heavy.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 4:43:20 PM

The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is an excellent cooler for $30. I currently use it on my Phenom II X3 720 BE. At stock speeds, it's 3 cores that run at 2.8ghz. This got a Kick @ss award from Maximum PC and has YET to have been toppled, even by water coolers out there! It's been their Kick @ss award since December 2009 and they rated it a 10 out of 10.

With this cooler, I've unlocked the 4th core and over-clocked my CPU from 2.8 ghz to 3.61 ghz. My temps range from 32°C (idle) to 53°C (full load) with it and it runs stable without one single BSD.

m
l
a c 228 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 9:38:37 PM

iball8888 said:
Thank you, two more questions. How high do you think the 9950 can run 'safely' or should is 3.2 good enough? Also what is a good aftermarket cooler that you recommend? I use a full ATX case that is huge...and heavy.

3.2G is about as far as you'll get with it on air cooling, however if you take isamuelson's cooler suggestion you might just get to 3.4G, I reached 3.4G myself but loading it up took the temps too high, so I backed it down to 3.2G.

I've been looking at the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ myself.
m
l
May 13, 2010 1:50:53 AM

3.2 is good enough for me. My local computer store (Microcenter, Boston) is selling it on sale for 20 bucks...so yeah :) 
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 14, 2010 5:06:54 AM

Realistically I don't think you'll reach 3.2Ghz, early Phenom overclocking was terrible, it wasn't until ACC was introduced that Phenom started hitting 3.0Ghz consistanty. Problem is, you have an Nvidia chipset, which means you don't have ACC.
m
l
a c 228 K Overclocking
May 14, 2010 2:12:30 PM

loneninja said:
Realistically I don't think you'll reach 3.2Ghz, early Phenom overclocking was terrible, it wasn't until ACC was introduced that Phenom started hitting 3.0Ghz consistanty. Problem is, you have an Nvidia chipset, which means you don't have ACC.

My chipset is Nvidia and I reached 3.4G stable but the voltage and load temp was too high to run that O/C 24/7, just because he has an Nvidia chipset does not mean he cannot reach 3.2G.

Too many people have bought into the AMD/ATI hype that it can only be done with an ATI chipset, which is great advertising for the AMD/ATI camp, but not true regarding Nvidia chipsets, and I'm pretty sure AMD/ATI is well aware of that.

The OP doesn't need ACC to reach 3.2G with his 9950 if its a Black Edition version, and according to the AMD website the only released 9950s were Black Editions, all he has to do is increase his multiplier to 16X, and raise the Vcore to run at the 3.2G multiplier level.

And since he has an Nvidia chipset he can follow the guide in my sig to attain his 3.2 goal.

The only problem I foresee the OP will encounter is the motherboard he has chosen is really a mainstream board, its not a dedicated overclocking motherboard, so his options will be limited.

The Nvidia chipset motherboard I reached 3.4G with was an ASUS Crosshair Formula II, with an Nvidia 780A chipset, bought specifically for overclocking.
m
l
a c 228 K Overclocking
May 14, 2010 3:45:23 PM

iball8888 said:
Asus M3N72-D mobo.

To access your motherboards manual overclock setting capability, you have to enter the BIOS setup and under the Advanced Tab, you have to set JumperFree Configuration to Manual, otherwise voltage and timing settings are grayed out.

Since you are new to overclocking I suggest some serious studying into overclocking before jumping in the pool.
m
l
May 14, 2010 8:18:35 PM

CM Hyper 212+ is awesome. I could probably push my CPU further (x3 that can unlock into an X4 B40) but I didn't want to up the voltages.

HWmonitor has my voltages (which are stock in BIOS @ 1.425) around 1.48 on full load. Temps only hit about 35C. I'd juice is, but once I put 1.45 in BIOS, it reads out 1.52 on load on HWMonitor...

Which temp is correct? Or is the correct temp listed in BIOS via hardware monitor in there and minus 12-15C for HWMonitor?
m
l
May 15, 2010 1:18:05 AM

ty for the help. Last question is the 9950 on 3.2 more than enough for the applications out right now as well the games? Or is it time to consider getting another CPU like a Six Core or an i7?
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2010 6:41:59 AM

iball8888 said:
ty for the help. Last question is the 9950 on 3.2 more than enough for the applications out right now as well the games? Or is it time to consider getting another CPU like a Six Core or an i7?

Even at stock it's more than enough, on a clock/clock basis Phenom isn't much slower than Phenom II, it's actually roughly equal to Athlon II. If an overclocked Phenom isn't enough for you, than a stock Phenom II 945 probably wouldn't be powerful enough.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2010 12:42:37 PM

At this time, my Phenom II X3 720 BE even at stock is enough for just about anything out there. Overclocked, it's definitely ready for anything. With the 4th core unlocked, well I think I'm set for a few years!

I think overclocking your chip should be good enough for now as well. If you really want to upgrade, getting a 6-core Phenom isn't too bad, but even cheaper 3 or 4 core Phenom II's are pretty good as well.

But, if you want to save money or don't have the cash at hand, then OCing what you have should be good enough.
m
l
!