Help with Phenom 9600 (TLB erratum)

nuts4nuts

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Hi folks this is a long and boring story but please read it anyway because I really need help, I´m pretty much of a noob in this forum, but I’ve read a lot of info about the TLB erratum here so I think you can help me with the problem that I have. Well guys the thing is that I own a AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition and a Abit AX78 mainboard using the Amd770 chipset. Since I bought this computer from a friend of mine I had problems, the first thing I’ve noticed was the high temperatures on the cpu and then the serious performance problems of the cpu in high stress situations like rendering (I work with 3ds max doing 3d animation and such). Well I could solve the temperature problem by changing the default cooler of the cpu by a thermaltake mini typhoon cooler, changing the ceramic thermal compound for a high density polysynthetic silver thermal compound (like artic silver 5) and updating the bios of my motherboard to the latest available because this fixed some voltage issues that caused a cpu overheat, with these three things done the temperature dropped down from 62 degrees Celsius on idle state to a fairly nice 33 degrees Celsius also on idle state. I was happy to have that problem solved but I still had the performance problems going on, so I made a little research on google and learned about the well known TLB erratum. Fortunately the latest bios installed on my motherboard comes with an option, that allows me to enable or disable the TLB cache whenever I want and get the performance improvement that I missed. The problem is that in windows XP x64 (which is my current O.S.) when I have the TLB cache enabled this causes BSOD’s , computer freezing and in general stability problems, but when the TLB cache is disabled the systems works well but with the well known performance loss. So I tried to leave the TLB cache disabled on the bios and then I’ve tried to apply the Phenom TLB Disable Tool which I found in xtremesystems.com (if you want to know what exactly this software do please enter the following link http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180338 ) forums hoping that would give me back the missing cpu performance and with no stability problems what so ever, but obviously nothing happened because this only disables the TLB cache by software and it was already disabled by hardware (bios). So I tried again installing windows vista x64 and this time I enabled the TLB cache on the bios, then I made a couple of rendering tests (with cinebench r10 for x64) and still I had this lack of performance of the cpu, but happily with no BSOD and computer freezing at all, so that was a good start because that meant that there was something in the software disabling the TLB cache. In that moment I thought to apply the Phenom TLB Disable Tool again and…. Presto! It worked, finally I had the cpu at full speed and with no stability problems at all. After that, I restarted my system and again I made the cinebench render test, and again I found that the cpu was not at full speed, so again I applied the Phenom TLB Disable Tool and the processor was at full speed again. To solve the restart problem I created a Schechuled Task on my session’s log on that automatically applies the Phenom TLB Disable Tool and that way I have always my cpu running at full speed. I was happy with this solution until now, because there is some compatibility problems of some of the softwares that I use to work with windows vista x64, so now I´m forced to re-install windows XP x64 to make this softwares work, so the question is: ¿ How can I get my Phenom working at full speed with no stability issues on windows XP x64 permanently?
Again, I´m very sorry to tell all of you guys this long and boring story, but I had to tell how hard I’m trying to get this fixed.
Technical Info:

CPU-Z
Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Capture4.jpg

If you need any other information about my platform just ask =)
Well guys, thanks in advance, any help is welcome and appreciated!
PS: Sorry about my writing and/or spelling errors, English is not my mother language.

TBH your best bet is to get a new CPU. It seems that the way XP 64 is it actually uses the TLB cache enough to cause the BSoD that wouldn't happen under normal opperating conditions.

My suggestion is to check and see if your mobo supports the Phenom IIs and get a Phenom II X4 810. Its going to be better than your current one and also not casue you as many problems.

I think you need to first 'ungang' your memory in the BIOS and see if that fixes your problems ..... :)

And maybe figure out why your RAMs are running @ 333MHz instead of 400MHz (assuming you are using DDR2 800)

What make/model motherboard do you have and what make model memory?
Also, what is the BSOD your getting?

He is using an Abit with a 770 chipset.

nuts4nuts

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
First of all thanks for all your answers, I really appreciate your collaboration, and yes I´m using 4gb of Kingston memories separated in four 1gb modules all are DDR2 667, I've checked the memories with memtest 86+ v.2.11, and the results showed no errors at all. Just in case I post here the cpu-z info of each one of my modules:

Capture1.jpg

Capture2-1.jpg

Capture-1.jpg

Capture4-1.jpg

Again, Thanks in advance for all your posts and support! =)

The IMC is *128-bit* or 2 'ganged' 64-bit controllers. If you *ungang* the memory controllers you will be essentially running 2x64-bit controllers with improved stability.

I don't think the TLB is your problem.

nuts4nuts

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009

Ok! Leaving the memories Unganged on the bios with the TLB cache activated solve mi problems! =) Now my processor it's at full speed and with no stability problems at all!

Thanks for your help, and everybody who posted here to help me, I appreciate your collaboration.

nuts4nuts

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Well you can replace the cpu if its that much of a problem. Didnt AMD replace those TLB cpu's for free? Have you contacted them about it?

AMD it's not replacing the cpu's, and never has for this kind of problems, but anyways thanks for the suggestion! =)

Good news.

For the most part you should be able to disable the TLB. It seldom is a problem and you may get an additional boost in performance in certain apps.