New to Overclocking

acalvi777

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hello,

I apologize in advance for not sounding very techie but I don't know much about computers.

From the research I have done I found this to be my primary set-up.

Intel
(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz Socket 775 LGA
Core Speed 2000.7 MHz
4gb Memory PC2-5300 (333 MHz)
300 watt power supply
EVGA 240GT 1gb ddr3

With that said I mainly just play games on my computer and do a little video editing and recently I have been wanting to increase my settings for World of Warcraft. I currently play on medium to high settings between 15-40fps depending on what is happening ... which is fine, but I want to see if overclocking my rig would help out ... ? ? ...

The problem there is that I have never overclocked anything ... my bios doesn't allow me to customize my settings ... and I don't know what to do. Do I have to open my rig up ? or do I have to download software that will help me overclock my pc ???

Please advise ... and if you need any more info on my PC I recently downloaded the program CPU-Z so I have all my computers information.

-Thanks

Overclocking your CPU would probably help, with such a relatively low clock speed it is probably bottlenecking your CPU. Also, your graphic card would influence your FPS in WoW more than anything else, and thus I'd get a better GPU or overclock your GT 240 as well. As for overclocking your CPU, download SetFSB and read a few guides, I personally haven't used the program before, but I heard it's one of the few ways you can overclock with a locked BIOS.