Sign in with
Your question

Blue screens on 4 GiG of RAM / Other problems

Last response: in Memory
April 25, 2009 5:51:19 PM

Hey, as the title says my PC is blue screening when using 4 gig's of RAM (4, 1 gig sticks) Atm i'm using 2 gigs, and i guess different variants of this thread may have been posted many times in the past so i'm sorry about that ;< either way i'll throw out some more info.

I havent overclocked my RAM.

PC specs -

RAM - corsair dominator
GFX - Nvidia 8800GTX
CPU - Intel Q8200 2.33GHz
OS - Vista 64 ultimate
Mobo - Gigabyte GA p35
800W PSU

I am going to run Memtests on the sticks soon hopefuly, a few hours per stick, but there have been some other issues that may suggest that it's my GFX card causing the blue screens.

Randomly sometimes as i'm playing a computer game, the screen will go on standby permanently, but music that i'm listening to will remain playing, so the rest of the PC is on i'm guessing. This has only happened twice though.

If you need any other information i'll be happy to pass it along, and thanks for reading.
a c 80 } Memory
April 25, 2009 6:35:39 PM

What are the specs for your memory modules (depending on when it was assembled, not all Corsair Dominator modules have identical specs) and what settings are you using in the BIOS?
April 25, 2009 6:42:45 PM

the corsairs are 1066MHz - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119190 is what they are.

Regarding the settings in the BIOS, i havent touched anything in there if that helps answer your question, otherwise how would i get in/ what am i looking for? ;< Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this matter.

Thanks again.
Related resources
a c 80 } Memory
April 25, 2009 9:35:56 PM

At a minimum you need to go into the BIOS and set the voltage to 2.1V if running it at 1066 MHz. If running at 800 MHZ, you might need less voltage, but you most likely have problems because you installed 4 modules and the voltage is still set to 1.8V (the default). Your manual explains how to change memory settings. It should be in the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker tab. You can change SPD from Auto to whatever you need (as long as it works with your RAM). You can also change the DRAM voltage to match the specs. You might need a bit more voltage if you really want to run 4 modules at 1066 MHz, but don't exceed the maximum for your RAM (Corsair should have provided that info).
April 25, 2009 10:12:18 PM

Agreed the voltage of the mobo stock is 1.8 your ram needs 2.1 and with 4 sticks possibly 2.2-2.3.
April 25, 2009 11:12:01 PM

Ok so i'm changing the voltage to 2.2 - 2.3, but what does
Quote:
You can change SPD from Auto to whatever you need (as long as it works with your RAM). You can also change the DRAM voltage to match the specs.
Mean exactly? the SPD, I'm guessing i change the DRAM voltage to 2.3 - 2.3 also?

Again many thanks.
a c 80 } Memory
April 26, 2009 12:34:43 AM

Why don't you try 1.9V-2.0V, 800 MHz and 5-5-5-15 timings? If that works, then try 1066 MHz at 2.1V. If not successful, then increase the voltage a bit at a time, but don't go up to 2.3V unless Corsair guarantee that the modules can take it. At 2.3V, the modules might get very hot.
April 26, 2009 4:19:59 PM

Ok, I put in 4 gig of RAM, tried to change voltage settings but couldnt find half of what you guys are asking, the RAM edit section is called MB intelligent tweaker as you said, but I didnt find anything to edit voltages.

Anyway I think I've found the problem, with 4 gigs it blue screened. So i removed 1 gig of RAM, and it blue screened with 3 gigs, message was 'page fault in a non page area'

So I took out the 2 gig of RAM i had been using previously for these months, both were in yellow slots, and tried booting up using the 2 gigs of RAM that have been sitting on my desk for months, and I got a blue screen saying : Service System exception. I tried to boot again, and got a black screen before the windows screen came up, saying:

Checking file system on C: the type of file system is NTFS, one of your discs needs to be checked for consistency.

Anyway after that was done it loaded up windows, and then blue screened, but the blue screen was showing no message, the same as the blue screens when using 4 gig of RAM.

(keep with me here :D )

So I put in my old RAM, back in their origional slots, and so far no blue screen, so I'm guessing if i dont get a blue screen one of the other RAM sticks are faulty? And that is my problem.

Ball-ache to read I know but If this is the problem I'm gonna be pretty glad :) 

Many thanks again.
April 26, 2009 5:29:30 PM

I just tried to get into this hidden menu, with ctril + f11 it does nothing, with Ctrl + f1 the screen flickers, but f1 as standard is the 'help' window, so dunno what to do regarding this ;< Still my post above, regarding faulty RAM, don't you think that's convincing as to what the problem is?
a c 80 } Memory
April 26, 2009 5:43:19 PM

Once in "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)", doesn't Ctrl-F1 work?
April 26, 2009 6:44:18 PM

Nope, nothing :/ 
a c 80 } Memory
April 26, 2009 6:48:26 PM

Create a new post and ask how to enter the BIOS hidden menu for your specific motherboard. Gigabyte have several P35 based motherboards and they don't necessarily have the same BIOS.
April 26, 2009 6:50:48 PM

Ok will do, cheers.
April 28, 2009 12:57:16 AM

Just re-bumping this incase anyone else had anything to say - back me up on my possible faulty RAM theory ;>

Also wanted to add that even with the current 2 gig of 'working' RAM i would still get bluescreens on average of once a week with the message 'BAD POOL CALLER'. I've read that if that message isn't occuring every day its most likely a driver issue? Either way I'll try to get the entire blue screen message.
a b } Memory
April 28, 2009 1:17:02 AM

Your problem is that your memory is not running at the correct voltage (well 99.9% certain anyway)
No motherboard will set the voltage by default to 2.1 volts. This is overclocked memory, requiring higher voltage to run correctly than standard memory.
You simply need to read your manual, find out where to adjust the voltage like everyone keeps you telling you, and unless you have a faulty stick of memory, your problems will vanish.
You usually have to disable the AUTO setting for the voltage, and then will be able to see a submenu that allows you to change the voltage.
April 28, 2009 11:23:22 AM

Ok well i decided to change my voltage last night, at first i overvolted to 2.1V, but I didnt know that the timings were layed out on the screen as they were, i was expecting to see a setup like 5-5-5-15 and the option to change it, but each timing has some text next to it. /doh so i ran with 4 gigs of RAM but timings at 5-7-7-24 and got a 'page fault in non paged area' blue screen, w.e. After changing the timing to 5-5-5-15 my PC ran for about 20 mins and was looking good, I decided to play a game, and after 20 mins everything froze, the keyboard and mouse turned off, so i hit the reset button, when it reset the screen stayed in permanent standby and the keyboard mouse stayed off, but the PC lights and such were still on.

This has happened to me before, with the standby screen, back then my CPU died so I have nfi whats going on now, I'm running with 2 gigs of RAM and put everything else back to normal for the time being, hopefuly the problem is obvious now :<

And thanks for your help, Jitpublisher don't worry it only took me 1 person to realise to change the RAM voltage, I'm not a total dumbo with these things, I'm just pretty 'novice' at anything related to building/Fixing PCs :p 
a c 80 } Memory
April 28, 2009 11:55:58 AM

It might be easier if you set the RAM at 800 MHz, 5-5-5-15 timings and 1.9-2.0V.
April 28, 2009 12:42:33 PM

Run memtest86, he might just have a bad stick of RAM. Could also be too much stress on the northbridge to handle 4 sticks at 1066...
April 28, 2009 1:04:07 PM

Ok i'll do both the new voltage and Memtesting these 2 suspicious RAM sticks when I get back. The thing that doesnt make sense is why would a £100+ motherboard not be able to handle 4 gig of RAM? I was hoping on getting 8 gig in the future with Windows 7 most likely, I just dont get it. Saying that, when I first got the PC it worked fine with 4 gig of RAM for months and then started to go crazy, back then the screen started to tear and go crazy, mostly whilst I was playing games, then blue screens started. Oh well.

Thanks again, will post results later.
April 28, 2009 4:10:55 PM

*** ed *** ed, i hope i can get out of this hole i seemed to have put myself in. -_-
April 28, 2009 4:14:00 PM

Heh the message above seems to have bugged out, re posting:

Well i put in the other 2 sticks of RAM and as last night the PC turned on, but the screen stayed on standby and mouse/keyboard stayed off. So im pretty screwed with that, anyway i tried to ran 2 gig of RAM but i changed the timings to 5-5-5-15, although in the BIOS i found no place to change the MHz to 800, it was 667 when i changed it to manual, from 1066. Anyway as i did that the screen went to standby, mouse and keyboard off... Same with 4 gig but with 2, so im posting on a laptop atm since my pc is now totally screwed, i hope i can get out of this hole i seemed to have put myself in.
April 28, 2009 8:12:20 PM

Shut down everything, clear CMOS, etc. Probably a bad BIOS setting causing some instability.

Based on the fact its a P35 chipset, I would wager that 4 sticks is putting too much strain on the mobo to handle at once at default voltages. And the reason the RAM was set the 667, is that would make a 1:1 ratio with the CPU FSB (1333/4 = 333Mhz, 667/2 = 333Mhz). If you get your system back up and running, try running all 4 at 667 and see if that helps any.
April 28, 2009 9:20:47 PM

thanks for the post, i just spent half an hour searching on how to clear the cmos, I found how, reset it and loaded the default settings on my BIOS and its back on! So thanks a bunch for that. i'm actually learning so many things about fixing PCs maybe one day i'll be the one here giving help :p 

Ok going to try 4 sticks on 667 soon, so fingers crossed that will work. The other thing is that Memtest can only be run on a disc? thought it was a program you ran like any other, i'll have to look into that later.

Again many thanks for all the help so far, and thanks for putting up with me :) 
April 28, 2009 11:19:55 PM

Zzzz nope, 4 gigs of RAM, 5-5-5-15 timings, 667Mhz over volted at 2.0Ghz, blue screen. I then removed 2 gig's of RAM and tried to run again, with the monitor staying on standby, the PC came on and went off twice within a few seconds of each other, for no more than a couple of seconds total, before staying on with the screen still on standby. I cleared the CMOS again and i'm back on 2 gig with default settings, I guess that the settings i used above arent good with 2 sticks of RAM, that would explain the monitor standby business. Still it did it with 4 gigs of RAM last night, so I dunno :G

So now all i can do is memtest, will run that tommorow, and if that doesn't work well then dayum...
May 5, 2009 7:22:50 PM

Before running the Memtest I decided to try running with different RAM sticks to see which would blue screen me, so far I've marked the one that has blue screened me, put that to one side and am now using the other with 1 of the 2 previous working sticks of course.

PC is fine so far, if it turns out to be this 1 stick of faulty RAM being the problem I'll have to return it, guess I'd have to return the other as well since they came together, either way is it possible to run 3 sticks of RAM? They are all the exact same model etc, and if so what voltage/timings should I put the 3 sticks at?

Thanks again.
a c 80 } Memory
May 5, 2009 10:09:02 PM

It's possible to run 3 modules (and a bit easier than 4), but not all memory will run in dual channel. Set the timings to match the requirements of the module having the highest values at the frequency that you selected, e.g., 800 MHz and keep the voltage within reasonable limits.
May 5, 2009 10:18:01 PM

Ok, and I still have to up the voltages due to my boards default voltage not being high enough for the RAM.

Anyway to make sure, 5-5-5-15 timings 667MHz volting at 2.0V on 3 sticks, sound ok to you?

Thanks again :) 
a c 80 } Memory
May 5, 2009 11:39:16 PM

I'm a bit surprised that you need that much voltage at 667 MHz. 1.8V should be enough.
May 6, 2009 12:12:42 AM

Ok, with 4 sticks on 667 i think i went 1.9 so yeah /doh for not realising. Thanks again.
May 6, 2009 12:26:39 PM

I tried running with 3 sticks of RAM, after changing the voltage and timings and MHz i saved and exited the BIOS, the PC screen went to stand-by, the PC turned on for a couple of seconds, off, back on for a couple of seconds, off then back on with the screen still on standbye and the mouse and keyboard not coming on. So I unplugged, removed a stick of RAM and quickly changed the settings back and it ran again fine.

So i'm stuck with what to do next, i might try to run 3 sticks with settings on auto in the BIOS, but with the auto timings on 7-5-7-24 or something I dunno what will happen ;o
a c 80 } Memory
May 6, 2009 12:35:11 PM

To be honest I would have given up a long time ago and bought memory modules that I know will work fine on that motherboard. Will all 4 run at 667 MHz and 2.0V?
May 6, 2009 12:54:04 PM

nope, with 4 sticks it blue screened lol, Im going to try running the stick i think that is faulty again to make sure it is faulty. But is there any possibility that all of this might be down to drivers/software? Adding more confusion to this, months ago the PC used to blue screen once a week/2 weeks with 'DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO' and 'PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA' so, I would happily change my RAM modules if they were 100% the problem, but if its a driver issue then that'd be a bad waste of £50 on two 2 gig sticks :) 
May 6, 2009 1:10:31 PM

Ok before I quickly go out. Heres a few things I was thinking.

My current windows vista 64bit ultimate isnt 'legit' as you'd say :p  I have a legit unopened copy of it though, so I was thinking as a real last resort, wiping my hard drives, and re installing this legit copy of vista onto the HDD's, surely that would be better in the long run regardless, also if it was a software/driver issue, if i had to manually re install the drivers etc I would know exactly whats on my PC software wise.

Just a thought, I'll carry on trying the RAM when i get back, thanks again for this.
May 6, 2009 3:35:15 PM

I tried 2 sticks with the faulty stick, and got a BsoD, I'm certain that stick is faulty, it blue screens in the first 5 mins of the PC turning on.

Anyway I tried with 3GB again but this time i left all of the settings to auto (thats like 1066MHz, timings higher than 5-5-5-15 and voltage set to auto), and this time the PC started up, i'm on it now with 3 sticks and so far so good.

Another thing, when my PC turns on I get a 'aaCentre.exe has stopped working'. So i checked around and thats an ASUS mobo related issue, i went into task scheduler and saw an entire ASUS folder there, I followed a guide and simply disabled what was causing the above message to show up, but shouldnt I just delete the folder entirely? I used to use an ASUS p5k mobo before the CPU fried (bad fan not cooling it). And come to think of it, Im 70% certain that the mobo I was running was fine with 4 gig till the CPU died, and that was for months, so if one of the RAM sticks are faulty then how in the hell was I able to run with 4 sticks for so long without any BsoDs?

I might be wrong and I may have removed 2 sticks of RAM with the old ASUS mobo, it was so long ago now ;<, so just ignore the last part of the above paragraph, but regarding removing the ASUS folder in the task scheduler, would that be a good idea considering I dont even use an ASUS mobo anymore?

Cheers and sorry for the walls of text :p 
a c 80 } Memory
May 6, 2009 9:12:34 PM

Quote:
So i checked around and thats an ASUS mobo related issue, i went into task scheduler and saw an entire ASUS folder there, I followed a guide and simply disabled what was causing the above message to show up, but shouldnt I just delete the folder entirely?
Uninstall Asus AI Suite before deleting the folder.
May 7, 2009 8:21:05 PM

So 3 gigs of RAM with settings on automatic seems to work fine, I'm cool with that and i guess in the future i'll just buy two 2GB sticks and keep with 4GB total. The timings I know are set to something higher than 5-5-5-15, voltage is 1.8 i guess and the MHz is 1066, so these settings are obviously putting a higher strain on my mobo than what you all recommended. I guess it was just the faulty RAM ;o

Only other concern though, I have tried to run memtest, i have it on a bootable CD, but when i chose what to boot from my keyboard stays dead, so i cant change it to boot from CD-ROM ;s Bit lost on that.

But yeah thanks again for everything.
May 9, 2009 2:20:06 PM

Whilst running with 3 gig the PC decided to freeze today, the screen froze, some sound was playing in the background and it stayed static, the mouse and keyboard turned off. When I rebooted the screen mouse and keyboard stayed off.

Anyway the problem now is that the PC turns on and all, but with 3 gig the screen will freeze and mouse, keyboard will turn off. I don't understand if this is still down to RAM or not -_-

I am close to just buying two 2 gig sticks of RAM but I firstly want to make sure the above is due to 3 sticks of identical RAM being used instead of 2? Or some other RAM related issue.

Also another important notice is when i booted up with 2 gigs of RAM (after i reset CMOS et) the screen displayed a 'CMOS checksum error' page, heres what it looked like

CMOS checksum error

Post error occurs

Profile 1) Default
Success boot record Last known good
Success boot record 1) 2 times
Success boot record 2) 5 times
Success boot record 3) 5 times

This is getting beyond a joke now ;<
May 9, 2009 2:32:25 PM

Oh and another thing to add, on bootup if i have to chose to start on safe mode or run windows normaly, I cant make the choice anymore because my keyboard wont let me, same with chosing what to boot from to run memtest, i cant chose because my keyboard doesnt seem to be on.

My keyboard is a logitech G15 btw
a c 80 } Memory
May 9, 2009 7:41:15 PM

It looks like you have issues other than with the memory modules. Based on the keyboard issues at boot time, I would presume that either the motherboard or the PSU are defective.
May 9, 2009 10:16:03 PM

hm ok, it just makes no sense, i can access the BIOS etc and navigate through it fine, but chosing to boot in safe mode etc I cant.

Anyway think i'll go ahead and get http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158368, after all my PC is completely normal with 2 sticks of RAM, and it decided to run fine with 3 sticks for days, so it cant be that my mobo can't handle high GB of RAM. I can only guess my screen/mouse/keyboard turning off was due to multiple sticks, as its never happened with 2 sticks.
May 11, 2009 12:26:08 AM

Things to add, my BIOS has a disable/enable USB keyboard/mouse setting. It was on disable, now I've changed it my keyboard is fine navigating through :) 

The second thing

I tried memtesting the 1 stick i suspected was faulty and my PC screen/mouse/keyboard didnt even turn on when it was in on its own, i tried it in multiple slots and no luck. I tried 1 other stick and the PC booted up fine so i have a faulty stick.

Again i tried to run with 3 sticks of RAM, Corsair say that their RAM is meant to be used in the pack they come in and running 2 of the same packs might give errors, either way i used 3 sticks and the screen kept freezing, no matter what the settings were on. The screen froze at the boot up screen, where you can go to the BIOS etc, so

I then tried to use 2 sticks of RAM but change the settings around a bit, and with any setting modified I got MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreen. I also got blue screens with no 'title', just numbers at the bottom, which i couldnt write down 'cause the system resets so fast. The wierd thing is that even after I changed the settings back to normal the blue screens persisted, they would happen within the first 5 minutes of the PC being on.

I moved the 2 RAM sticks into 2 different slots, still dual channel ofc, I reset the CMOS, left every setting @ auto and now my PC is stable, but i'm lost to hell, I'm so sure that 2 different sticks would be fine, but Corsair say their RAM sticks are made for certain settings, only when I change the settings to what they want my PC blue screens ;x
a c 80 } Memory
May 11, 2009 1:37:38 AM

What are the settings on Auto according to the Memory tab of CPU-Z?
May 11, 2009 5:57:58 PM

memory tab:

type: DDR2
size: 2048
channels: dual
DC mode: symmetric

DRAM frequency: 533.4MHz
FSB:D RAM : 5:8
CAS latency: 5.0 clocks
RAS to CAS delay: 7 clocks
RAS precharge: 7 clocks
Cycle time: 24 clocks

Command Rate: 2T

Thats all it shows.
a c 80 } Memory
May 11, 2009 7:34:24 PM

So they run at 1066 MHZ and 5-7-7-24 timings.
May 12, 2009 3:44:27 PM

yeah i know that :D 

Trying to find an EU Corsair number to ring
May 13, 2009 6:11:38 PM

Slightly off-topic, I'm going to start looking for a pack of two 2GB RAM sticks for my GA-P35-S3G mobo, if anyone knows anything, I've checked the Compatible RAM list on Gigabyte's website but its old and most certainly not complete :p 

Thanks again.
July 22, 2009 7:45:49 AM

for your blue screens havent you tried to start in safe mode and downloaded off the net the error reader (idk wat it is actually called) and search through ur hdd for crash.dmp file and use that to figure out what is going wrong. (My Pc is doing the same but its because i had symantec and a virus or something started to screw the security settings) i am running 4 gb fine. just try the crash.dmp file and write back what it says about it. if you get the 2 ram sticks at 4gb and they bluescreen just get a new motherboard or cpu probs best to go with a intel 2 duo quad core or there new one??
July 22, 2009 7:50:02 AM

btw you can usually search for it using windows explorer and its only if it says on the blue screen dumping or crashing down tha bottom and thats why it always crashes quikly
!