New Build Nightmare

setxaggie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
First, a little background:

6 years ago, while I was in college, I wanted to play better games than my laptop could handle. Seeing as I was broke, I decided to try my hand at building my own rig. That went exceedingly well thanks 100% to this site. Over the years that followed, I have added memory, upgraded video cards, and done some other little things to stay current. However, this fall I decided it was time to scrap the oldie and start over.

My wife and I are expecting our first child any day now. In preparation, we bought a new HD camcorder. My wife is not a techie at all, but she wants to be able to edit the movies from our new cam and burn them to discs or upload them to share with family. This led to my new project, to get my computer ready and able to handle HD video editing.

I knew I would need a bigger hard drive and a BluRay burner to even get started. Then I started looking into more requirements and decided I'd need a better video card too. When I built the machine, I played a lot of games, but the only thing I play now that I'm "grown up" with a job and wife is Civ4, which my rig barely handled on low settings. Displaying and editing HD content was going to require something beefy.

So, I finally decided I would just start from scratch. I wanted something that I could build without breaking the bank, but would leave me plenty of room to upgrade in the future. I read about and got excited over the new i7 stuff, even though I'd been an AMD guy before. I knew that was way more than I wanted to spend on a mobo, but I figured I could splurge and hopefully have one board for years.

My build ended up as follows:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME X58 Motherboard
INTEL|CORE I7 920 CPU
EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GTX260 Videocard
6 gigs of Crucial DDR3 RAM (3 X 2 gigs)
Thermaltake-850-Watt TR2 RX Power Supply
Seagate 1.5 TB hard drive
LG BluRay burner

I put all this in my old Thermaltake Armour case, kept my old 80 gig hard drive and Lite-On DVD-ROM drive, and installed Windows Vista SP1. I did all this Sunday, and have been trying to get everything working the last couple of evenings. My problems started with attempting to get all the updates for Windows. I got a blue screen a couple of times, and the computer just randomly shut down a couple times on its own. When I finally got all the Windows updates installed, I moved on the get the lastest drivers from the various websites. Same mix of occasional blue screens and random shut downs for this as well. Now I've been trying to get Civ4 installed and the thing keeps shutting itself down during the installation.

I have to get this computer working soon guys. I've spent way to much money already, as my wife keeps reminding me, and we're going to start taking video as soon as that baby pops out, any day now. I have no idea why it shuts down. There are no problems POSTing, and Vista seems to start up ok everytime. The only hangup is that I get a screen asking if I want to start Windows in safe mode, etc. after a crash, but my keyboard doesn't do any good on that screen. It sits for 30 seconds and then Vista starts.

The shut downs are happening randomly, sometimes when the DVD is spinning, sometimes when I'm downloading something, and at least once when it was sitting idle waiting on me to get a beer.

Sorry that's so long. I really appreciate any help any of you can give me.

setxaggie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I just downloaded and burned a Memtest86 boot CD. I'll try that tonight.

I looked on the Gigabyte website and no Crucial sticks are on this QVL. (I had to google that because I didn't even know the acronym.) I thought Crucial was a good company? Should I RMA these back to Newegg and get some sticks that are on the list? The list itself doesn't seem terribly long. Is this kind of thing most likely a memory problem?

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Also try with just 1 stick of ram, installing vista updates can cause blue screens with more than 1 stick of ram until you get sp1 installed.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
id try with 1 stick of ram like the other chap said i that sorts it then ull prolly need a bios update

also check your tempretures perhapes ur cooler isnt seated correctly

plus an IDE 80GB hard drive does sound a lil touch old dont u have a sata one u could try

finally u could try taking the connections apart and re connecting them

setxaggie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Ok, Memtest ran for about 30-45 minutes before I went to bed last night. Then, at some unknown point, the computer died. I did check to make sure all the settings in the BIOS match Crucial's webpage.

I've tried with two differnt PSU's, so I'm pretty sure that's not it. I have the latest BIOS from GIGABYTE's site.

How do I check temperatures to see if that may be it? I'm just using the stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU.

setxaggie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
SppedFan shows the following temperatures:

GPU 52C
Temp1 43C
Temp2 93C
Temp3 50C
Temp 0C
HD0 29C
HD1 32C
Core0 83C
Core1 83C

I have no idea what any of that means, if it is good, bad, or indifferent, and what I should do to fix any problems that may indicate.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
get this one instead and look at your temps carefully...
realtemp http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

speedfan show both cores at 83c witch is not good... and very VERY HOT...

verify your hsf to make sure it's seated correctly...

setxaggie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Sure enough, it was the heatsink. Damned pushpins. It's seated properly now and the hottest I've gotten RealTemp to read is close to 70. It's staying right around 50 now, which I take it is a little warm for not being OC'd at all.

I think I'll probably be investing in a better cooler soon. I've never OC'd anything, but I might want to try at leat a bit sometime. Does anyone have a good cooler to suggest with this set up? Nothing fancy, because I'll never seriously tweak anything.

Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
After all this, your stock thermal paste is definitely shot. As a result, you'll have to clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and a coffee filter (or anything lint free). Try using Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste (or Arctic Silver 5) when you get an aftermarket heatsink; it will work that much better.

There isn't much choice right now for specific Socket 1366 coolers, but look into these two:

1. Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

2. Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT

If you go here, you'll also need a Socket LGA 1366 backplate as well: Thermalright Bolt-Thru Kit

Unfortunately, the use of a backplate will require you to pull out the mobo. :fou: It is worth it, however, for the better surface contact.

If you don't OC for now, the simple solution to try first might just be to clean off the old thermal paste and reapply MX-2 to the stock cooler. That way you can just mount with pushpins and not have to pull out the mobo--save that job for in-between diaper changes. :cry:

The Xigmatek retention bracket would be fine, were it not for the fact that you have an LGA 1366 socket and that bracket fits socket LGA 775.

Good luck!

Sorry for the Xigmatek suggestion. I got confused about which post I was replying to. www.moddersmart.com also carries the Noctua cooler with the LGA 1366 mounting bracket since it's out of stock at newegg. If I remember correctly, it's also cheaper.

setxaggie

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Just ordered the Noctua from the moddersmart page. Now maybe I can start playing with voltages and such between diapers...

Thanks again for all the help.