Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SATA link speed backwards compatibility

Last response: in Storage
June 5, 2010 9:36:22 PM

I'm about to get a new HDD for my Macbook Pro. Currently I have a SATA drive with 1,5 Gb link speed. My question is will a 3 Gb link speed drive work with it or I have to get a 1,5 because of some standarts? I have Early 2006 MBP if that matters. (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP32)

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
June 5, 2010 11:24:26 PM

SATA was designed to be upwards/downwards compatible between generations, so yes - a 3.0Gbit/sec drive should work fine on with 1.5Gbit/sec ports on a motherboard.

Occasionally the drive and port won't auto-negotiate the speed properly - if you have any issues using the drive then most drives have a jumper setting that can be used to force the drive to use the 1.5Gbit/sec speed.
June 6, 2010 2:25:40 AM

sminlal said:
SATA was designed to be upwards/downwards compatible between generations, so yes - a 3.0Gbit/sec drive should work fine on with 1.5Gbit/sec ports on a motherboard.

Occasionally the drive and port won't auto-negotiate the speed properly - if you have any issues using the drive then most drives have a jumper setting that can be used to force the drive to use the 1.5Gbit/sec speed.

Thanks a lot.
m
l
June 16, 2010 6:49:10 AM

Best answer selected by vexos.
m
l
!