Sign in with
Your question

Pool water cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
May 12, 2010 1:37:26 AM

So I have thought about this. The pool already has a massive pump, Its pretty much always freaking cold or atleast room temp. My room is right next to the pool pump. If I were to divert just a small amount of gph from the pump and have it go directly to the cpu block and back. It would require a lot of tubing, but JUST THE water blocks. Not that I am trying to save money or anything. But think about it. In the winter the pool is freaking freezing. Tell me what yall think. It would be literally the closest thing to phase change cooling, atleast in the winter it would. gotta wait a few more months for that. But its still pretty cold.

More about : pool water cooling

a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 2:50:43 AM

Biggest problem I can think of right off the bat is gunk/etc. building up in the block and tubes. Pool water isn't exactly the cleanest, might need some filtration/etc.
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 4:39:06 AM

Yep, thats sums it up well. And Pool water in many areas is taken from a tap or from a well. It's very hard water with lots of calcium and other deposits. It WILL in time create deposits on the waterblocks etc.

In warmer times you also have to worry that the water will warm as it moves towards the PC due to ambient air temps and maybe sun hitting the tubing.

Now, if you had the cash, you could buy a big WC radiator, suspend it deep in the pool and run proper water through the loop, insulating the tubing or burying it about 12" down till it reaches the house wall. Might look at at a good sized pump for the flow rate issues etc.

It can be done. Lots of work and thinking, could be fun. In the winter you might have to worry about condensation on the blocks and tubing in the PC, unless you live in a dry climate.

LOL, I live in Las Vegas and pool water easily gets into the high 80's. Nope, that would be bad. In the winter though it's in the 60's easy, it would be fine.

Close to phase? Don't think so. Phase begins at wayyy under the freezing temp of water.
Related resources
May 12, 2010 8:44:11 AM

id be cheaper if you just bought yourself a mini-fridge, cut small holes in the fridge's seals and run your radiator through the fridge. all it'd cost is about $250-350 for a wc kit and....70ish for a mini fridge?

hell if you're feeling frisky you should get a mini fridge with a MINI FREEZER!! =)
May 12, 2010 3:05:51 PM

I would have to worry about the condensation, Since I live in louisiana. As for leaves and gunk I would not have to worry about that since the water would be coming directly from the pump and therefor directly from the filter. I would be more worried about air passing through the filter and getting a ton of bubbles. As for the deposits of calcium, I dont think it would be a permanent thing, maybe for just a month. I think it would be fun. I'd get pictures for yall =)
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 3:09:32 PM

i4yue said:
id be cheaper if you just bought yourself a mini-fridge, cut small holes in the fridge's seals and run your radiator through the fridge. all it'd cost is about $250-350 for a wc kit and....70ish for a mini fridge?

hell if you're feeling frisky you should get a mini fridge with a MINI FREEZER!! =)

That's a fricken brilliant idea! I want a minifridge anyway to keep cold drinks handy... not that I have watercooling but it's something I might do down the road... awesomeness! haha.
May 12, 2010 3:51:23 PM

I have seen something similar quite a while ago. But instead of pumping the pool water through the blocks the person who built the loop used a heat exchanger like this one to dump the heat from the pc loop into the pool water. And yet still have a proper cpu loop setup running distilled water. It worked quite well for him from what I remember.

-ouch1
May 12, 2010 5:40:55 PM

/\ thats what conumdrum said earlier
May 12, 2010 5:49:45 PM

i4yue said:
/\ thats what conumdrum said earlier

I know that. I was just telling him a cleaner way to do it rather than having a rad suspended in his pool.
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 13, 2010 4:21:29 AM

A heat exchanger is a radiator. Exchanges from the inside water to the air, of in this case, pool water.
May 13, 2010 8:41:00 AM

ouch...do you realize how much money those things cost??? further more...how much cleaner is it going to look down sizing a pool heat exchanger to a maximum 1/2inch barb/fitting???

and how is using a pool heat exchanger like that any better/cleaner then using a normal radiator
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2010 1:10:00 PM

I don't think a mini fridge has the ability is continously cool a computer.
May 13, 2010 7:11:20 PM

i4yue said:
ouch...do you realize how much money those things cost??? further more...how much cleaner is it going to look down sizing a pool heat exchanger to a maximum 1/2inch barb/fitting???

and how is using a pool heat exchanger like that any better/cleaner then using a normal radiator

Well according to the specs the ports that connect to the pools system are 1.5" and the home side is 1" I doubt there will be much of a problem getting it all hooked up.

I know they are not cheap. I should know as I helped a friend setup something similar to cool his parents home, and they bought the heat exchanger wholesale for around $300. We connected it to the pickup for the pump since it was 1.5" pipe was was on the cooler side of the loop. And the only reason they got it wholesale is that they own a pool maintenance business. The one they bought has 1.5" threaded piping on the ends of it and they have it downsized to 1/2" using a couple 1.5" to 1" reducers and a couple more 1" to 1/2" reducers (1 each for inlet and outlet). Then we sweat soldered to a 1/2"id copper supply line that runs through the flooring of thier new house. It works pretty well.

If the OP were to make some minor changes to thier setup (i.e. put a valve in the loop for saftey and run 1" hardlines to his room) he could have everything hidden in the pump room for the pool. And it will cool real well, and be muc hcleaner than having some tubing run out a window, over the grass & sidewalk, and then hang over into the pool with a radiator hanging from it. If i were to do something like that now my wife would throw a fit, and even worse that that is if I would have done that when I was living with my parents they probably would have kicked me out. By having everything hidden in the pump room\house it will look much cleaner and if the OP were to use copper hardlines into his bed room and then just have a 1" ball valve connected to a 1"-1/2" male barb adapter to connect his hosing to for inlet and a similar setup for outlet. That will allow him to have maximum flow and get reall good temps. All in all O would say the setup (not including water blocks) should cost around $500. But that will allow the OP to either cool his system really well or cool multiple systems pretty well.

-ouch1
May 13, 2010 7:12:32 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I don't think a mini fridge has the ability is continously cool a computer.

You are correct. The condensor pumps are not meant to handle the constant on/off of dealing with the heat load. I think you may get 2 months before you fry it.
June 8, 2011 6:05:19 AM

pbalstar said:
So I have thought about this. The pool already has a massive pump, Its pretty much always freaking cold or atleast room temp. My room is right next to the pool pump. If I were to divert just a small amount of gph from the pump and have it go directly to the cpu block and back. It would require a lot of tubing, but JUST THE water blocks. Not that I am trying to save money or anything. But think about it. In the winter the pool is freaking freezing. Tell me what yall think. It would be literally the closest thing to phase change cooling, atleast in the winter it would. gotta wait a few more months for that. But its still pretty cold.

Here are some solutions to some of the problems I've seen in this thread:

Problem: Condensation
Solution: Submerge your PC in mineral oil as seen here http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Problem: Pool water running through your tubes
Solution: Use a radiator designed for PC cooling and a closed loop system (just stick the radiator in the pool)

Problem: The water heating up during its journey to the computer
Solution: insulate the tubing

Problem: The pool freezing
Solution: Put the radiator deep, pools never freeze to the bottom

Problem: The liquid in the closed loop freezing
Solution: Use an antifreeze liquid

During the winter you get serious overclocking potential!
During the summer your computer doesn't heat your room AND it ever so slightly heats your pool!

Were on to something here = )
a c 235 K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 11:51:22 AM

pbalstar said:

That's not a good idea, you're obviously not familiar with the pool water treatment process and the effect it can have on all metals regarding the + or - PH level, how will you possibly be able to control that, especially if the pool is treated with chlorine and will be flashed on a weekly basis.

There's no question a micro-particulate inline filter would be an absolute must, but the PH level could destroy your water blocks cooling capability so fast you will be amazed, of course we all must learn the hard way.

We're not talking municipal treated drinking water here!

http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/wswrd/cr/corr_res_copper_ai2.html

Why do you think you've never seen copper pool fixtures, only stainless steel and even stainless steel has it's limitations.

a c 328 K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 6:27:05 PM

Hey guys...this thread has been dormant for over a year until today...what gives?

This also might need to be moved to water cooling since that's exactly what this is considering. Let's open a new thread instead of digging up stuff that is old and should be left alone. It's a great concept to discuss, but I haven't seen some of the contributors on this thread on the forums in several months...if not longer.
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 7:29:19 PM

4Ryan6 said:
That's not a good idea, you're obviously not familiar with the pool water treatment process and the effect it can have on all metals regarding the + or - PH level, how will you possibly be able to control that, especially if the pool is treated with chlorine and will be flashed on a weekly basis.

There's no question a micro-particulate inline filter would be an absolute must, but the PH level could destroy your water blocks cooling capability so fast you will be amazed, of course we all must learn the hard way.

We're not talking municipal treated drinking water here!

http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/wswrd/cr/corr_res_copper_ai2.html

Why do you think you've never seen copper pool fixtures, only stainless steel and even stainless steel has it's limitations.

As far as getting the Cl2 out of the water you can get de-chlor tabs(sulfur dioxide), and do some ph correction by putting in a lime/soda ash feeder and then run the water through it before it reaches the loop as far as corrosion is concerned aquamag works great for keeping scaling and deposit down to a minimum yet adds even more to an already costly system...costly but doable..Hell your talking about putting in a mini surface water treatment plant...I am a water operator in Virginia...It cost about $70.00 to treat 10000 gallons with chemicals...Since this system would be in use constantly that could get extremely expensive...You will have to have a mini labortory also to monitor all the water parameters or spend an excess amount on a SCADA...I hope the OP has a lot of time on his hands and lots of money in his pockets
a c 328 K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 7:42:07 PM

If you ran a heat exchanger vs. an open loop you'd fare much better and not have to worry about pool water wrecking havoc inside a PC loop.
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 7:45:42 PM

Yeah I was going on the assumption he was gonna use an open loop
a c 328 K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 8:13:15 PM

The OP's original idea was to piggyback the pump pool to power the PC loop, which would need to run as an open loop. He'd need a separate pond pump or something similar to run a closed loop with that much tubing.
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 8:21:27 PM

A usual pool pump has the ability to pump at extreme head pressures...he would have to put in a pressure regulator and a back flow preventer also for a failsafe....I have seen some serious damage do to over pressurisation....When opening and closing the valves on this system he would have to watch for water hammer as well...This idea seems a bit on the excessive side to begin with.
a c 328 K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 8:23:19 PM

...Which is why it's a better idea to run a closed loop and a different pump for the closed PC loop and submerging a heat exchanger.

Still a cool idea...be interested to see what kind of results you'd get.
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 4:16:33 AM

I got it if OP goes with an open loop system he can always get a MEMCOR R/O unit and run it inline before the blocks....I think you can get a small unit for oh a cool $125,000 installed...yearly upkeep is about $15,000...The unit make a very low turbidity, clean water out of very contaminated source water i.e. your pool water......Make your own nearly pure water hell you could tap your house into it too..two birds hell....three birds one stone...pool water, drinking water, and clean source water for Computer cooling...you wouldn't need a pump to the computer either you could use a sistern and use head pressure to feed the system
a c 328 K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 1:59:08 PM

Either way, this thread was revived after being asleep for over a year...doubt OP even knows anyone has been posting on this thread recently...
!