I can remote desktop connection but cant map network drive

rsthoe

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I have three computers a new win 7 home premium and 2 win XP professional. I can ping all three of them. the win 7 machine doesn't see any machine except itself in the workgroup, one of the xp machines sees itself and the win 7 machine, but won't show any of the directories when expanded ( it says I don't have permission) the other xp machine doesn't see any ( including itself) machines in workgroup. If I use the ip address I can remote login from any machine to any other machine. I can map network drives from any machine to any other.

if I try to map network drive how do I parse this? Browse returns a blank, I'v tried the network names ( no joy) and the ip addresses i.e. \\192.168.10.125\c: where this is \\ip address\drive , I'v also tried \\192.168.10.1\192.168.10.125\c: where 192.168.10.1 is the address of the router

I suspect the problem would go away if my machines would return the names of the other machines.

I'll give a "suggestion" but not exact help as I don't run Win 7.

The three machines need a communication protocol they all posses in common.
In the days of Win 98 we had NETBEUI. XP came along and now it's NWLink NetBIOS, Win 7 uses...? Here I'm stumped. I offer this as a clue to your trouble. There are some very proficient guys in the Win 7 forum that should have all this figured out by now, give them a try, and good luck.

rsthoe

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Thanx, I'll give it a try, Meanwhile I found that if I went to Manage/services and turned on a whole bunch of services including logical disc manager, and logical disc manageradmin, tcp/ip netbios, terminal services, remote access auto connection- it worked. I probably don't need all these but it did work. Still can't get the win7 machine to see the xp machines so I'll try that website you recommended.