Sign in with
Your question

Unlocked 4th Core... I think =)

Last response: in Overclocking
May 12, 2010 8:17:47 AM

Anywho, I unlocked the 4th core on my X3 440 Rana and now it's listed as a Phenom IIX4.

In anycase, when I run HWmonitor My core tempts for all 4 cores are sitting at 0'C. Obviously something isn't reading and I'm hopin' to fix it... maybe something in the BIOS? To see the temps during load

More about : unlocked 4th core

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 8:53:53 AM

Wow, you unlocked an extra core and the locked 6MB of L3 cache! That's pretty awesome, a Phenom II X4 B40 for a mere $74.99. The temperature monitors do stuff up after core unlocking, that's natural. Just to check that the extra core isn't faulty or defective, I suggest you run Prime 95 for a while to check stability.
m
l
May 12, 2010 5:18:29 PM

Is there anyway to see my temperatures of my cores with the unlocked core? I want to know just to see my tempts while runnin' Prime95 for stability.

I tried to OC even a minimal amount on 4 cores, and didn't get very far at all.

Currently my multiplier is 15.0 and FSB 200 (stock settings)

Is it worth dropping my multiplier for a higher FSB? (same hertz; overall better performance) If so, how far should I drop my multiplier to without limiting myself?

m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 5:38:48 PM

Have you tried speenfan? my temp readings went mental after unlocking and clocking, amd overdrive reckons im running at -256 on 4 cores :p  speedfan gives a more likely reading of 17-29' what mobo are you sitting the 440 on?
m
l
May 12, 2010 5:45:13 PM

ASROCK M3A770DE
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 6:27:25 PM

same as me then :)  I wasnt lucky enough to get usable L3 tho :(  for your overclock, set all your bios stuff to default if youve already played about with them, and try the acc feature, im on 3.5Ghz from 2.9 using that, I had to unlink the Ram though to get that running at proper speed dont bother with amd overdrive its over cautios and wont clock you very far :) 
m
l
May 12, 2010 7:22:53 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
same as me then :)  I wasnt lucky enough to get usable L3 tho :(  for your overclock, set all your bios stuff to default if youve already played about with them, and try the acc feature, im on 3.5Ghz from 2.9 using that, I had to unlink the Ram though to get that running at proper speed dont bother with amd overdrive its over cautios and wont clock you very far :) 

Yea I was thinking about running RAM Async... but what about the CPU Freq. PCI-e right below the FSB speed?
It's moves up when synced with FSB, but when you Async and up the FSB, the PCI Freq doesn't move, is that ok? Or would you manually up to compensate for the CPU FSB moving upward?

My L3 Cache doesn't show on CPU-Z either... so I didn't get it either =\
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 12, 2010 7:33:10 PM

where it says ram settings, its probably on auto, I changed it to 7 hundred something, cause at 920 it bluescreens on me and I believe my pcie runs at 99 but im not confident enough atm to start playing around with that so ive left as is for now, maybe someone else could put us both on the right track for those settings :p 
m
l
!