250GB Seagate 7200.10
750GB Seagate 7200.10
Leadtek analog TV Tuner
2x120mm and 80mm case fans
DVD RW drive
Floppy Drive
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (PWM)
Antec TruPower II 430W PSU

I just replaced a Phenom 8450 with a Phenom II 720. 8450 was overclocked to 2.52Ghz and only had a problem when I tried to enable Smart Fan controls. With the 720, I can just be sitting there and it will restart. I of how people turned their PII X3 into a PII X4, but mind you I have had mine at both stock and with the 4th core enabled and the same thing happened. I even reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate X64 to see if that would solve the problem and nothing. I have had the Antec TruPower II 430W PSU for about 3 years now. I looked over at Extreme Outer Vision (used PII 920) to see if my PSU would be large enough for my system as I have had nothing but restarts since I replaced my 8450 with the 720. It showed that I was using about 376W, so I think I'm not cutting it with the TruPower II 430W. I was considering an OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W from newegg as a replacement since I have a $10 promo code. Any opinions on it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Iain

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic all have an excellent reputation for high quality power supplies that are stable and reliable. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. They are also the three brands most often recommended by veteran posters at this forum.

lightbody

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I knew that Corsair, PC Power and Seasonic were three of the better PSU brands out there. I also thought that OCZ and even Antec were just rebranded Seasonics. Don't quote me on that, I just remember reading it somewhere. I ordered the OCZ because of how inexpensive it is at the time. Hopefully that will cause the computer to stop restarting every few minutes. Gotta have the desktop. The old laptop just isn't as good as it use to be for games.

lightbody

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Thanks for the info zip. I always appreciate any bit of knowledge. Does anyone knows if there's a way to disable the LEDs on that Fatality PSU?

lightbody

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Better not do that. I already bought it yesterday morning and the code was still valid. No telling now though. Thanks for all the help. I'll consider this a closed case now.