Main Differences Between CPU and GPU

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Hi, i been reading about Nvidia CUDA development environment and i started to think about it.

i wasnt aware of how much computational power a GPU had, but what are the limitations of using the GPU with CUDA.

i know about all the concerns of the parallel procesing on programming.

Does CUDA uses a combination of CPU+GPU or its enterely based on GPU.

any information link, article or anything will be greatly appreciated, since every attemp i do to search lnks directly to the mythbusters video.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i think cuda machines need a cpu to direct the ram and other resources - it is only gpu i think. i have not read about it for a long time and i am no programmer

gpu have much shorter paths - multi cells make for much better number crunching but cuda has not been market in masses - say college classes.

had nvidia trained a bunch of trainers then make books and sold the language at the school lever there stock would be 16 not 8 < from a high of 40

intel 14 from 28

amd is 2 from 33

so i guess they are smarter then amd?

nvidia just throws it out there proclaims their greatness, picks fights with intel, makes overheating chipsets and only sells gpu's that are one step a head of ati - i really hate nvidia!

cpu's are based on ancient sturcture for instructions and it is longer list of duties

nvidia is stupid, its not that cuda does not have great potential it how nvidia markets it to developers --- cuda is new

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

You may wish to read about OPENCL (not OPENGL). OpenCL is all about developing the tools so programs are written that, instead of supporting a single CPU core are optimized for multiple CPU and GPU cores.

OPENCL is likely to provide the background of many apps in 2011+. A well written program may even "know" the efficiency of your PC in terms of power consumption and balance the load accordingly.

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

OPENCL... interesting gonna do some research. i think the C refers to the C language.

Thx! for the info

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
ya - cuda is amazing and nvidia really blew it

there are $13k cuda system beating million dollar super computers - the language is very usefull

by the way if you learn it - email me i build a machine and help market it! thx!