Is it bad?

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims run
faster?

--
---->Sagittaria<----

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
11 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    "Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
    > that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims run
    > faster?

    Nope. I am contemplating doing that myself in a few days.

    Gareeth
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    Sagittaria wrote:
    > that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims
    > run faster?

    Only if it didn't work...

    I just ordered a new computer pretty much just to play the Sims 2.
    Took me 8 months to save up the $750 for it.

    Now I'm afraid it won't arrive, or the Sims 2 won't work when it does
    come.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    "Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
    > that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims
    > run
    > faster?
    >
    > --
    > ---->Sagittaria<----
    >
    > If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

    LOL I did the same thing last year plus 150 dollars for new video card.
    My computer uses RDRAM and that stuff is expensive.

    What we won't do for our Simmies? LOL

    ...........B
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    it depends..
    Ram isn't the whole issue..
    Graphic ram is as well..
    we have 1 gig of ram and it's 2400...
    but the game will still run slowly if alot of animation
    is on the screen IE...an over furnished home...
    that is 2 or more stories..
    also the speed of your computer is important as well.
    We are not playing on our P4 because it fried recently
    but we run it on an athlon 1.2
    this should be sufficient with the 1 gig of ram but as I said, tho the game
    runs well ...
    it still has a period of stops and starts when there are alot of
    graphics/animation on the screen.
    So many factors are important..
    speed of CPU
    Amount of Ram that is in use..
    (lots of proggies running in background etc)
    Graphic card memory

    Chey

    "Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
    > that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims run
    > faster?
    >
    > --
    > ---->Sagittaria<----
    >
    > If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    Sagittaria wrote:
    > that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims run
    > faster?

    two weeks ago I doubled my ram for 90 euros, mainly because I got a
    subscription to TSR and have downloaded so many floors, walls and
    objects the game takes a while to load (no problems with gameplay though).
    Bianca

    Heck no!
    I bought a whole new computer !

    Dim Sim

    "Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
    > that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims run
    > faster?
    >
    > --
    > ---->Sagittaria<----
    >
    > If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

    I'm contemplating buying a new laptop for that purpose...

    Can anybody tell me what the absolute ideal system would be? I've got a good
    idea about RAM and memory, but I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand
    graphic cards.

    "Dim Sim" <dim_sim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Heck no!
    > I bought a whole new computer !
    >
    > Dim Sim
    >

    > "Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
    >> that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims run
    >> faster?
    >>
    >> --
    >> ---->Sagittaria<----
    >>
    >> If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

    it depends on your cpu
    but i guess 512 mb memory
    and a 128 mb videocard runs fine

    off course if you download a lot this wont work after a while

    Cheryl wrote:
    > I'm contemplating buying a new laptop for that purpose...
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what the absolute ideal system would be? I've got
    > a good idea about RAM and memory, but I'm at a bit of a loss trying
    > to understand graphic cards.

    Firstly, it would not be a laptop. Laptops are not made for gaming,
    desktops are. I would say the mimimum system would be P3/Athlon at 1.5GHz,
    with 256MB RAM, and Radeon 9200 128MB (I don't know about Nvidia). However,
    the higher the specs, the better.

    As I said, I dont know about Nvidia, but ATI Radeon is simple, the higher
    the number the better the card, but if it has an X before it, it is even
    better.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    "Sagittaria" <sagittaria.nntp@emailias.com> wrote in message
    > that I just spent nearly 200 dollars on RAM solely to make the sims run
    > faster?

    I got more RAM and a new monitor today mainly for the SIms.

    Gareeth

    >Firstly, it would not be a laptop. Laptops are not made for gaming,
    >desktops are. I would say the mimimum system would be P3/Athlon at
    1.5GHz,
    >with 256MB RAM, and Radeon 9200 128MB (I don't know about Nvidia).
    However,
    >the higher the specs, the better.
    >As I said, I dont know about Nvidia, but ATI Radeon is simple, the
    higher
    >the number the better the card, but if it has an X before it, it is
    even

    I wouldn't recommend 256mb for anything. Windows alone can eat 140 odd
    of that. 512mb is the bare minimum for any system. Nvidia cards have a
    similar numbering systems to Radeon, 6 series are better the 5. A
    decent 5 series will do though. (6 series are expensive)

    As for laptops you can get gaming laptops for people like Alienware but
    most have 256mb, Celeron processor and sub par graphics card meaning
    they are useless for playing modern games.

Sims RAM Games Video Games