That's pretty high temps. Considering you were willing to invest $400 in a gpu, you should probably just grab a $60 CPU cooler. I have my i5-750 OCed to 3.68ghz (175 base clock, 21x) and turbo is enabled so it goes as high as 4.2ghz. My idle temps are mid 20s (C6 enabled reads as low as 18C on all cores in CoreTemp and SpeedFan but not HWMonitor - C6 turns your CPU off when idle). At load it's still only mid 50s - and that's with more than 1ghz overclock.

As a guideline, my voltages are 1.302V Vcore and 1.197V VTT but our systems are different so you probably can't just plug those in and have it stable.

I have some questions tho. Is the card OCed? What graphic settings are you using? What level of AA? And, have you played Crysis? If so, what are your FPS and at what settings - we can compare to my 5850 which I OCed to be faster than a stock 5870 (it's at 985/1200). I haven't played Metro 2033 yet.

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
My card runs at 875mhz/1250mhz, haven't changed anything. I ran crysis at 1280x1024 with and without AA, exactly same results, 25fps at intensive scenes and explosions 30-40fps average. I also have micro-stuttering issues from time to time.

Interesting... the fact that with or without AA gets the same results, then yea I guess it has to be something other than the video card, because otherwise there should be a noticeable difference in max frame rates. What RAM are you using? And have you checked the BIOS to make sure it's at the rated speed? Often by default it only runs at 1333mhz and if it's 1600mhz RAM you'll need to start some tweaking, starting with the baseclock. If you can load an XMP profile try that out - they generally will change the base clock as well, basically giving a little overclock. Test it out.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

On the professional level I would buy an Aftermarket Heatsink. Those temps you have there are not going to go any lower than what is now.
Aftermarket Heatsinks are always recommended when Overclocking the system.
There is not such thing is bottlenecking the 5870 card. I have the same setup and I Overclock my Intel i5 750 to 4.2Ghz but I have it on 4.0Ghz.
Now if you are running ram under 1333MHz then you are going to run into some issues when you Overclock.
Now if you don't have at lease 1333MHz RAM then you are going to run into some issues.

Please list the spec of your system so we all have an idea what we are going to give you as a answer.

But I have a video here that shows you how to Overclock the system with a Intel i5 750.
But note that stock Heatsink is not recommended to do any type of Overclocking. I am going to be honest about it and just say that the Intel stock Heatsink SUCKS PERIOD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6zANFlYEDM This is my video and I help dozens on folks in there help in overclocking. They didn't do as the video but they took notes and learn from other's video as well.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
You could modify the intel fan, which is in fact very good. If you take the fan out, you will see a chip on the reverse side. It is a poorly designed thermistor which takes ambient air temps instead of core temps. Rip that thermistor out with pliers and you should see some noticeable temps improvement. No it is not going to be as good as aftermarket cooler, but you could try this before you spend.

Well that could help. Also, remounting the stock cooler to make sure it's right, and some CPU lapping probably would help a bit too... but I mean, really, aftermarket coolers are a good investment.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Sorry but I wouldn't waste my time Lapping an Intel stock heatsink. Cheap and not such a good heatsink in the first place. Even if you lapped it you only will mostly likely see a 2C decrease. Aftermarket heatsinks are the best for O.C and not stock.

I know with 1600MHz RAM I can most likely hit 3.8GHz or even 3.9GHz
Wolfram23 and I are right about investment in an Aftermarket Heat sink.
But Bottlenecking that 5870 that is the issues here and I don't think it is bottleneck, (not all that much since you O.C The Video Card)
I do believe if you Go into BIOS and change the PCI Express Freq from (AUTO) to (100) it may help.
and make sure the voltage for your RAM are correct and Load Line Calibration is (enabled)

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Can you explain to me about these configurations? I am a noob at these stuff...

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

my last two replies there is a link to a video on how to overclock an Intel i5 750.
there you will see my enter the voltages settings
but PCI Express Frequency is always on (AUTO) so change it to 100

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

NO, there is a video of you overclocking your computer. It's not teaching anyone anything about overclocking.
There's a little more to overclocking than to put someone elses setting into your computer and hope they work. You really should learn about the Bios settings and what they do, plus all the other things you HAVE to know like temperatures, testing, etc. etc.

You are doing more harm, than good, with your use my setting video and don't bother to learn how to OC.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Now I didn't say to him that he needs to have the same settings, What I am telling him is to learn by reading and also to watch videos of others by observed the video on what I am talking about & take notes when it comes down to his PCI Express Frequency and The Load Line in Voltages.

Some people watch videos and compared them to the notes that they added and documented.
That is what he should do in order for him to learn. So it is teaching someone how to overclock when watching a video , as if he was in the classroom.
It's information that all of us give to each person everyday.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Once again Keiki646, we completely disagree. You are trying to help OCing noobs but your video's and advise once again do more harm than good.

Do you even know what LLC (load line calibration) does and the effects it has on the cpu? Intel has specific guidelines for vdroop/vdrop on there cpu's for a reason. Telling someone who is new to OCing to just enable LLC without knowing what it does and the risks associated with using it, is, once again proof of your inexperience and bad judgement.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Once again you're always trying to attack me when you are wrong about learning process. This is not about me this is about him/her learning how to O.C
Research show that 57% of the world pick up common knowledge from documenting video or from reading what they see.
But then again you adding words to my mouth again switch the word were not said. You need to stop adding word to my replies and help him out more than follow me around and attack everything I say to someone.

Not going to say it again , I didn't tell the him/her to do as my video shows. I told him/her to learn from it and to learn from others as well by picking up the information. You need to stop trying to be a hero and help him/her with their problem.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

VERY TRUE, so PLEASE stop trying to help people so they can get COMPETENT advise from someone who has a clue.

notty22

Distinguished
I've seen this reaction when people are trying to be helpful and make a video or I shouldn't use this word, lol a guide.
This is just a how to, how he did it.
I found the video basic, and not to aggressive. There are worse, where the author states a rather high subjective V to attain 4.00ghz (the magic #)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsk5iocFlgg
This is using turbo, states for Gigabytes boards and gives someone clues at least what settings do what in that type of o/c.
I don't think its harmful at all.
Gigabyte boards come stock with most Voltage settings on auto and if you use their auto o/c feature , which they URGE users to do, your settings will be wilder and more aggressive than this or your computer just won't start.
People learn by trial and error yes, also, reading multiple how to's , user experiences.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Thank you for understanding and realizing what the all of this means. It's a How to video and not a Do this Video.
I'd agree with Notty22 100%
Also I will like to Apology to Link_Q for all the negative replies and such troublesome words that have been exchange here.
Listen Link_Q it up to you to listen to us or not but it's best that you should take your time in understanding the facts about Overclocking.
You can watch videos so you can see for yourself what not to do and what is the right thing to do but reading is number one in as well when learning to do something.

Here is a Video Link on Overclocking an Intel i5 from NCIX Tech Tips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6zANFlYEDM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llqhe3N1cJA&feature=watch_response
View the video and just take down notes that you feel that might help you understand about it more.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
If you are trying to overclock with the stock cpu cooler you might want to go back and look at tom's previous system builder marathons. In one of them they used small cases and one of the builds had to use the stock cooler because a larger one wouldn't fit. You can read that build and see what kind of overclock they managed with the stock cooler. This was probably with an i7-920 but it would be somewhat similar for you.

link_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
The max temperatures I've seen my pc go on gaming are 60-65c. I checked out the bios and I have a clock speed of 160 with a multiplier of x17. Should I go for a small overclock to 3.0, 3.2ghz?