Help me choose i7 motherboard

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I am building my first computer. I have researched for a LONG time an I have been looking at getting an i7 and I am not sure what board to get. After reading the toms hardware article I decided to get this video card Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB. I eventually would like to get a second one in SLI. I know of to good MOBOs right now the x58 and the ASUS P6T. And of course there is like a million different versions of these motherboards like the P6T deluxe. So if someone could help me find the best mobo for the price thinking $250 or less.

Thank you in advance.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
well either, asus p6t alone is fine, v2 thought was cheaper, it doesnt have the sas ports, just that model, whatever is cheapest p6t, board rocks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-motherboard-i7,2252.html

EVGA or DFI

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

P6T has a better slot layout but the third slot is x4. P6T Deluxe has the ability to split the second slot into x8/x8 for the third, but slots 2 and 3 are too close to use three big cards.

I'd go with the P6T and use 2 or fewer graphics cards. The x4 slot would be handy for other high-bandwidth devices.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Yea I was planning to use two video cards eventually I will probably never use three so the x4 thing doesn't really mean much as lo0ng as the first two are x16.