Help with ASRock A330ION (Atom)

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hi,

Want to overclock the atom 330 dual core on this board from 1.6 to 2.1Ghz (which is reported as being very easy with stock cooler). Any help much welcome

The board comes with ASRock OC tuner software, but can't find any guides anywhere for this processor. The exact board is

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A330ION

Should run alot better at this speed. Has integrated Nvidia 9 Series ION GPU so not sure how this will be affected, if at all?

Installing 4Gb of DDR3 1066 CL7 RAM (the mobo only support 1066Mhz but ill be installing 1333Mhz) probably Crucial Ballistix, along with a Velociraptor data drive and SSD boot drive.

Will also install a dedicated GPU...comes with a PCI-E 2.0 slot (x16) so wan't the best card that I can get for this setup...but dont want to waste money on extra power if it wont be used. The spec says this PCI slot is 32-bit...? huh ? what do they mean? Am i getting confused with memory addressing (which on all PCI 2.0 seems to be 64 or 128 bit) confused!?

banthracis

Distinguished
I'll do a free bump for ya, but I don't think many people here have experience with OCing atom processors...enthusiasts typically use something a bit higher up the processing power chain.

I can tell you that you don't need a velociraptor data drive though, as a Spinpoint F3 or 7200.12 is same performance for a fraction of the price.

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Thanks!

I purchased OCZ Reaper 6-6-6-20 RAM 4gb instead.....

Used a program to lower the case and CPU fan. As the speed decreases...the mobo starts to give out a high pitch whine....slower you make the fan, louder to pulse whine gets??

G

ACK, even with the BIOS Fan speed control the A330ION board creates a very disturbing "deedeedeedeedee" high pitch sound. It can be heared more clearly when attaching a bigger fan, e.g. an 80mm one.

Can be reprocuced with both fan-connectors (CPU+case) setting any speed below full-speed. The slower you set, the noisier it gets.
This is really annoying and I wonder if this affects all Asrock Mainboards of this line.

G

Wow, it looks like this issue can be solved with a BIOS update to at least v1.40, although it says nothing about that on the Website. *phew*

Haven't turned off the system yet, but I hope it's gone forever...