Dell Inspiron 6000 Memory upgrade

hopkiller

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Hey quick question, I need to upgrade memory on a Dell Inspiron Notebook i have had. I went searching to see what kind of memory it can handle, you know whats the fastest. I found a lot of conflicting numbers, the computer currently has PC2 4200. I found on dell that it supports PC2 5300 and PC2 6400. Well other sites say it takes PC2 4200 and PC2 3200. I am so damn confused can anyone help me out

RAM is backwards compatible. For example, you can use PC26400 800MHz. and if the chipset will only run the RAM at PC25400 667MHz. the 800MHz. RAM will downclock and run at 667MHz. RAM is backwards compatible. Voltage requirement get higher with faster RAM though.

If your system chipset supports maxium RAM speed of PC24200. You can install RAM with rated speeds of PC26400, PC25300, etc. and that RAM will downclock to what speed your chipset dictates. Simple. The greater voltage requirements of the higher speed RAM could make it non compatible or without enough voltage to run on the system. Generally speaking, the slower the RAM speed rating, the less voltage required to run at that slower speed.

Some of the RAM manufacturers may not produce say PC25400, but they do have PC25300 in stock so they recommend that. Just an example. It's your chipset that determines the RAM speed limitations as far as data transfer rates (speed), voltage and timings. Again, RAM is backwards compatible :??:

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Hello:hello:

Just saw this post and oops, it's 4 years old.:kikou: Anyways, this post is addressed to other users who may have the same system and are confused about the memory speed or for random users.

Yes, theoretically any DDR2 SODIMM memory should fit and it should work. As mentioned in one of the post it is the chipset, the processor and the memory controller which decide the memory speeds. Usually, you will be able to add higher speed just by updating the BIOS of your laptop to the latest versions. In this case, the dell laptop supports DDR2-800MHz as many Dell users have tried it.

If you need compatible DDR2 memory for Dell Inspiron 6000 then try any of the below websites or do a google search using the following keywords " 1GB or 512MB PC2-6400S DDR2-800MHz 200pin SODIMM" memory.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Inspiron+Laptops%2FNotebooks/Inspiron+6000-upgrades.html
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellInspiron6000.html

Cheers!!