niquem

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
so i built a quad core based system with a q6600 with just stock cooler yesterday.
i went into bios and my cpu temps were 90 degrees celsius...
i turned off the computer and opened it up, found out the heatsink was slightly off and fixed it.
my cooler is on firmly and correctly but according to speedfan my core temps are still 70+ degrees celsius.
what could be wrong?

With the stock HSF yes. So you have the stock cooler installed presently, but the temp is too high? Try gently pushing down on the fan while monitoring the temps. The temps should go down as the heat sink makes contact with the CPU cover. The stock Intel 775 HSf is notorious for this problem.

I'd strongly recommend replacing the stock Heatsink fan anyhow. It's just not a very good cooling solution for the Q6600 as it runs pretty warm anyhow. The stock cooler will be fine if you can get it mounted right, but it'll run warm with high loads. Don't even consider overclocking your CPU at all with the stock cooler.

:)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
3.6ghz, 400fsb, at set 1.47v, running 1.44-1.45 on intel chipset or 1.41 on nivida 780 FTW, at max out put should run at 50-55c when properly built and with good 120mm fan heat pipe cooler

last q9550 ran same at 3.8ghz or 450fsb

reseat the cooler - the TC (thermal compound) can delaminate, if it rotates like a TRUE and its dished the TC can be removed and scraped off by turning the HSF

too crappy of cooler and/or too little compound and/or lack of compound or lack of fan and proper air movement all cause 90c

system should shut off around there become unstable

Have you ever considered taking an English Comp 101 course? I hope you had Oral Communication because no one understands a thing you are 'trying' to say when you uhhhh...'jot things down in the uncomprehensible manner you do'. How to dress for success maybe? A statement can be as simple as a single thought expressed in a single sentence. Like say, OP I have a suggestion for you...here is the list. Thanks in advance.

halcyon

Splendid

Well put.