Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 On a AMD Board help plz?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 12, 2010 11:28:30 PM

okie i have never over clocked ram before and im a bit nervous. and confused

so i bought this ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

its obviously made for intel boards but every one told me to buy this one instead of the amd one because it was better but i would have to tweak the setting to make it run right.

So being computer iliterate enough to understand most of the stuff i went ahead and purchased the ram.

So my cpuz is telling me my dram frq is 669 (1333) CL 9 TRCD 9 TRP 9 TRAS 24 TRC 33 CR 1

everyone on new egg says to change it to 8-8-8-24 32 1 What exactly do each of those numbers go to? i can guess but i want to be right

8 cl 8 trcd 8 trp 24 tras 32 trc? and leave it at CR at 1?

if need be i am running a phenom II x4 965 BE on a GiGabyte 890FXA-UD5
May 13, 2010 1:29:59 AM

alrdy bought them they posted just fine just have to "tune" them
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 1:31:06 AM

Smithy021 said:
okie i have never over clocked ram before and im a bit nervous. and confused

so i bought this ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

its obviously made for intel boards but every one told me to buy this one instead of the amd one because it was better but i would have to tweak the setting to make it run right.

So being computer iliterate enough to understand most of the stuff i went ahead and purchased the ram.

So my cpuz is telling me my dram frq is 669 (1333) CL 9 TRCD 9 TRP 9 TRAS 24 TRC 33 CR 1

everyone on new egg says to change it to 8-8-8-24 32 1 What exactly do each of those numbers go to? i can guess but i want to be right

8 cl 8 trcd 8 trp 24 tras 32 trc? and leave it at CR at 1?

if need be i am running a phenom II x4 965 BE on a GiGabyte 890FXA-UD5


Hi there you might want to check the list on Memory that are listed for your mobo.
It's important for you to know what is compatible for the 980FXA UD5

here is a link to the list you need to check before buying them.
http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-890fxa-ud5.pdf

If the Link doesn't link you there it will link you to the Page for your model Motherboard and there you can check the Memory List.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 13, 2010 1:37:30 AM

Smithy021 said:
alrdy bought them they posted just fine just have to "tune" them


But you know that the RAM is not on the Memory List so therefore you might want to re-think about that.
It's not listed on the Memory List. There is a reason why you should always buy RAM that is Compatible for your Motherboard.
You just might run into some unstable issues now trying to Overclock in BIOS
This is just a fare warning my friend. I seen this happen so many times when people are not reading and not understand what is compatible with their system,
specially RAM. RAM is Number one important
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 3:02:58 AM

except i had this worry and there are tons of others who buy this memory for amd systems...
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 5:43:26 AM

Smithy021 said:
except i had this worry and there are tons of others who buy this memory for amd systems...

And that's the reason why someone like yourself is always asking someone with more professional skill at this for help.
You might think you have all the blank spots all figure out but that is the reason why it says on the booklet guide
"USE ONLY COMPATIBLE HARDWARE FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD"

This is the reason why tomshardware forum is full of new people like yourself with no experience asking for help and when
help is givien, either the folks here listen to it or don't listen and later on down the road paying the price for it.

Just pointing that out.
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 2:59:20 PM

Keiki646 said:
And that's the reason why someone like yourself is always asking someone with more professional skill at this for help.
You might think you have all the blank spots all figure out but that is the reason why it says on the booklet guide
"USE ONLY COMPATIBLE HARDWARE FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD"

This is the reason why tomshardware forum is full of new people like yourself with no experience asking for help and when
help is givien, either the folks here listen to it or don't listen and later on down the road paying the price for it.

Just pointing that out.



OK well your not Helping me to by telling me to check The list.. Ive already done so.. i knew before i purchased them that this could be a problem. I have a pretty good idea how this works And i wanted to reconfirm it on these forums because they tend to be helpful. So either help me out or move on..
m
0
l
May 13, 2010 10:13:48 PM

Smithy021 said:
OK well your not Helping me to by telling me to check The list.. Ive already done so.. i knew before i purchased them that this could be a problem. I have a pretty good idea how this works And i wanted to reconfirm it on these forums because they tend to be helpful. So either help me out or move on..


Well that is on you kid, I'd try to help you and giving you some important information that you need to know.
Good luck with your system.
m
0
l
May 14, 2010 6:18:15 PM

Next time, before you make a purchase, do research.

These are the timings you need top to bottom.. in order.

8-8-8-24-6-34-12-6-8-2-6-5-5-110-110
m
0
l
May 15, 2010 3:42:12 AM

erocker said:
Next time, before you make a purchase, do research.

These are the timings you need top to bottom.. in order.

8-8-8-24-6-34-12-6-8-2-6-5-5-110-110


thanks i did look into it but i was not sure 100%
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 16, 2010 2:57:53 AM

@Smithy021

Gigabyte has themselves tested some of the dedicated Intel modules and they tested 2 sets of G-Skill 1600ghz 4G sets, you'll be able to run the modules but your disadvantage is finding the exact timings your motherboard will stably run them at.

If you're planning on overclocking the 965 then getting the memory timings right will be pretty important or you'll be crashing every time you turn around, I would use 9-9-9-24 at 2T.

The lower the cas numbers the tighter and faster the timings, but when you're overclocking your CPU you want the memory as stable as possible, and once you get the speed out of the CPU you're after then you can play with the memory timings and tighten them up.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 16, 2010 3:26:41 AM

Keiki646 said:
And that's the reason why someone like yourself is always asking someone with more professional skill at this for help.
You might think you have all the blank spots all figure out but that is the reason why it says on the booklet guide
"USE ONLY COMPATIBLE HARDWARE FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD"

This is the reason why tomshardware forum is full of new people like yourself with no experience asking for help and when
help is givien, either the folks here listen to it or don't listen and later on down the road paying the price for it.

Just pointing that out.



You planning on helping him out now or just continue rubbing it in his face, I guess you must have missed on the list you linked to, there were 2 listed dedicated Intel G-Skill 1600mhz 4G sets of memory modules, that Gigabyte had tested.

So why don't you break out some of that professional skill of yours and help the guy.


m
0
l
May 16, 2010 3:45:14 AM

i appreciate the help.. i dont plan on OCING the CPU i just want to get the 1600 out of the Ram so it is being used right,
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 16, 2010 4:02:25 AM

Quote:
So my cpuz is telling me my dram frq is 669 (1333) CL 9 TRCD 9 TRP 9 TRAS 24 TRC 33 CR 1


Try manually setting 800 @ 9-9-9-24 @ CR = 2T and manually set the DDR3 slot voltage to whatever is sticker-ed on the modules.
m
0
l
May 16, 2010 4:49:15 PM

okie try that there 1.65v i believe ill have to dbl check it
m
0
l
May 17, 2010 4:06:11 AM

4Ryan6 said:
You planning on helping him out now or just continue rubbing it in his face, I guess you must have missed on the list you linked to, there were 2 listed dedicated Intel G-Skill 1600mhz 4G sets of memory modules, that Gigabyte had tested.

So why don't you break out some of that professional skill of yours and help the guy.


First and foremost I will like to say this for the record that I was trying to help him out by telling that is best to follow the correct hardware for his hardware.
No, was trying to rubbed it in his face, therefore I was being nice to him and trying to warned him about that troublesome problem that he might run into.
I've personally had this issue myself years before and Gigabyte listed that I check the list - for him I chatted with a customer service by sending them an email. I've check three time to make sure before I'd reply back that I 'm not giving him the wrong information. I myself never had an attitude first place but he sure did and once he show that he regards towards what I was referring to, I walk away without disrespecting him or anyone here. Sorry if you live a difference lifestyle from where you must get a direct answer and it must be the right one the first time around, but helping is helping regards if the information is wrong or not. The RAM wasn't on the List. I don't have time to sit at home in play video games all day long and be frustrated with the fact that he is not seeking the answer he is looking for. He has ask me to not help because he wasn't seeking the answer he was looking and I've reply to his commands. So therefore I will like to end this as an adult with professionalism.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 17, 2010 12:02:42 PM

Keiki646 said:
First and foremost I will like to say this for the record that I was trying to help him out by telling that is best to follow the correct hardware for his hardware.
No, was trying to rubbed it in his face, therefore I was being nice to him and trying to warned him about that troublesome problem that he might run into.
I've personally had this issue myself years before and Gigabyte listed that I check the list - for him I chatted with a customer service by sending them an email. I've check three time to make sure before I'd reply back that I 'm not giving him the wrong information. I myself never had an attitude first place but he sure did and once he show that he regards towards what I was referring to, I walk away without disrespecting him or anyone here. Sorry if you live a difference lifestyle from where you must get a direct answer and it must be the right one the first time around, but helping is helping regards if the information is wrong or not. The RAM wasn't on the List. I don't have time to sit at home in play video games all day long and be frustrated with the fact that he is not seeking the answer he is looking for. He has ask me to not help because he wasn't seeking the answer he was looking and I've reply to his commands. So therefore I will like to end this as an adult with professionalism.


The OP admitted in his first post he had bought Intel M/B memory, he'd already learned the hard way he should have checked the QVL memory list, but instead of helping him, because the memory he's chosen will work for his M/B, you insist on rubbing the fact he didn't check before he purchased.

Checking before you buy is good advice, but your first statement would have been sufficient covering that, but you continued pressing your point until you ended up insulting the guy, but you don't even realize that, do you.

If you couldn't actually help with his situation other than repeatedly stating the obvious, then just make your initial statement and move on.

You say you never had an attitude, but that's not true.

Quote:
And that's the reason why someone like yourself is always asking someone with more professional skill at this for help.
You might think you have all the blank spots all figure out but that is the reason why it says on the booklet guide
"USE ONLY COMPATIBLE HARDWARE FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD"

This is the reason why tomshardware forum is full of new people like yourself with no experience asking for help and when
help is givien, either the folks here listen to it or don't listen and later on down the road paying the price for it.


That sounds like attitude to me, so why don't you take this as a learning experience, try not to do that to other THGF members, and be on your way! 4ryan6


m
0
l
May 17, 2010 4:43:45 PM

4Ryan6 said:
The OP admitted in his first post he had bought Intel M/B memory, he'd already learned the hard way he should have checked the QVL memory list, but instead of helping him, because the memory he's chosen will work for his M/B, you insist on rubbing the fact he didn't check before he purchased.

Checking before you buy is good advice, but your first statement would have been sufficient covering that, but you continued pressing your point until you ended up insulting the guy, but you don't even realize that, do you.

If you couldn't actually help with his situation other than repeatedly stating the obvious, then just make your initial statement and move on.

You say you never had an attitude, but that's not true.

Quote:
And that's the reason why someone like yourself is always asking someone with more professional skill at this for help.
You might think you have all the blank spots all figure out but that is the reason why it says on the booklet guide
"USE ONLY COMPATIBLE HARDWARE FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD"

This is the reason why tomshardware forum is full of new people like yourself with no experience asking for help and when
help is givien, either the folks here listen to it or don't listen and later on down the road paying the price for it.


That sounds like attitude to me, so why don't you take this as a learning experience, try not to do that to other THGF members, and be on your way! 4ryan6


Sorry that is all had to happen like this here smithy and 4Ryan but still I don't have an attitude and why would I have one?
This doesn't bother me one bit all at. Just trying to have you understand my reason on my end but no one is perfect here.
He's a kid and I'm an adult and truly speaking, I'm not going to disrespect someone young than me because is not in my nature.
This troublesome thought might have seem that I was trying to rubbed this information to smithy but I insure you that my attentions were not.

m
0
l
May 17, 2010 10:45:55 PM



Well to put the Icing on the cake.. I am not a "kid" Maybe a Young adult... But at 23, I pretty positive that i am not a "kid"
m
0
l
Related resources
!