My System:

Custom build pc -
Asus Mobo
4gig memory
Intel pentuim 4 single core 3.0ghz
Diamond ATI Radeon 4870 HD OCX Black Edition
750w PSU

Problem Description:

I bought the card about 4 months ago from NewEgg, it has been running very hot though it has been working. I turned up the fan speed algorithm to 50% which seemed to work. But recently I reformatted and left the algorithm back to it's original speed. (The reformatting happened last month). It has been running smooth until recently for christmas I got a 750w psu which replaced my 500w psu. I put it in and everything worked as normal. I transported it back to school and when it got here it began having a problem. I can turn on my computer but right after windows xp boots up the computer will just restart. This is a recurring problem but after it happens several times I notice graphical glitches on screen which leads me to believe it is my 4870 and further deductions possibly lead to the heat. I opened the case and put a large fan next to it to see what that would do. The system still restarts.

Is there any suggestions as to anything I could do. Later when my friend gets back I am going to switch out graphics cards with a spare one to see if that leads to any further analysis.

If there is anything anybody could suggest it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

-Zach Smith
2 answers Last reply
More about computer video card problems
  1. Open it up and check that all the cards are seated properly in their slots and that all your power cables are properly connected.

Mactronix
  2. That's a power supply issue.....could be a bad one
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics