Sign in with
Your question

Power for SUPER X5DPA-TGM+ w/ 2 Xeon Processors

Last response: in Components
March 14, 2009 7:12:39 PM

Hi,

This is my first time ever posting so hopefully I can explain it right. My very good friend decided to give me one of his servers that he bought about 4 years ago from SuperMicro. The board is SUPER X5DPA-TGM+ and has two Xeon Processors running at 2.66ghz that is about all I got before the computer shut down. He said the computer is supposed to run faster but right now only has 1GB of DDR/ECC memory in it and it is (PC 2100) I think 266 MHZ.

Here is the issue, the power supply in there is a 430W InWin 20Pin with a 4Pin CPU connector. From what I can tell looking at the board this supply is not right for this machine at all. I did a bit of research and know I need a 24pin w/ an 8pin CPU connector but what I am not sure about is the wattage. I mean this thing is HUGE!

It had a DVD Rom in it but I guess there were cooling problems because a disc was stuck in there and literally melted... odd?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a power supply? I am going to be putting 2GB more of memory in it so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for your help!

MR :o 
March 16, 2009 11:57:10 AM

Welcome to the forums!

You need a power supply with 24 amps on the 12v rails.
Server power supplies are different from Desktop power supplies.
Not sure which one you need.
March 16, 2009 2:06:48 PM

So, it has to be separate rails for each 12V. It cannot be combined 12V. Like with the ATX12V/EPS12V combo Power Supply they have it on a combined rail. The rail thing makes it even more confusing but I think I am getting it now thanks to what your advice! Thank you so much for your help!

Related resources
March 17, 2009 11:17:59 AM

It can be separate rails as long as the combined total wattage on the 12v rails is at least 288.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 24, 2010 5:49:40 PM

Hi, I have this same board: the SuperMicro X5DPA-TGM+ with two 2.8GHz Xeon processors. I have 8GB ECC RAM (4x2GB chips). But when I was building it, I also needed a power supply. I went to Best Buy and bought the Antec Neo HE - High Efficiency 500-watt PS (with modular connectors, so I connected only what I needed in the machine). It's been running great for 4 years now and has made the transistion from XP-32bit to XP-64bit to Vista Ultimate-64bit to Win7 Ultimate-64bit. My real problem since this is the powerhouse of all my computers is the video card challenge. I only have PCI slots on the board, so I am limited to the type of video card I can use. Hope this helps, sorry I'm so late returning the post.

Fluffywhitebunny
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 21, 2010 4:32:42 AM

Quote:
I have 8GB ECC RAM (4x2GB chips).

Whats the model# of those chips? where'd u get em? I've got (2) X5DPA-TGMs.

One has dual 2.8's like yours, currently with 2X1GB PC2100 DDR266 ECC (Kingstons).
The other has dual 3.06s but I'm looking for ram to max it out. (8gb setup)

--
dubnium
!