Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Athlon II X3 435 with unlocked core

Last response: in Overclocking
May 13, 2010 2:12:10 AM

hey guys,

I have been trying to figure out how to overclock my cpu, so i have been looking at this site on others to find some answers but i am still a little confused and unsure.
I have an Athlon II X3 435 which i was able to unlock the 4th core and got the 6mb L3. Though that's all i have done so far. So if you guys can tell me how to overclock my cpu, i would really appreciate it. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well thanks!

So here is my system

Gigabyte 790XTA UD4
Athlon II X3 435
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB VCGGTS2501XPB
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB
Corsair VX550
Antec 900
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
May 13, 2010 6:00:07 AM

Recently unlocked my X3 440, but no L3 cache =\. First you should run some tests while stock with the unlocked core, make sure that the core is functioning properly.

Currently, I'm pretty new at this... but get these programs. Keep in mind, that HWMonitor and other CPU temp monitors will not work because of the unlocked core. So telling your temperatures might be kinda iffy. Try the program SpeedFan.

HWMonitor
Prime95
CPU-Z
IntelBurnTest

Testing your Unlocked Core:
Run IntelBurnTest 10 passes @ High settings (you can set it at 10, it's defaulted at 5) then if that goes ok, try some Prime95 for a few hours. If everything looks good, no crashes, no boot ups or BSODs, then start OCing it.

Overclocking with unlocked core:
Move up the FSB, usually titled CPU Frequency in your BIOS (default it's @ 200) up 10pts. Then save, exit and boot into windows, and redo the tests (uhh just do the intel burn test, don't repeat the prime95 until the VERY last ending test for stability).

Sooo in short.
1. Change FSB in BIOS
2. Check your RAM settings, they're usually tied to the FSB so as you move your FST bus for your CPU, the RAM hertz will move up. So you'll have to move it down a bit to keep it at your specifications (whatever that is, 1600, 1066, etc.) don't go over insane hertz, or you'll have to rest the CMOS on the Mobo (just resets the whole thing so you'll have to retry and reconfigure things).
3. Save BIOS, get into windows.
4. Open up HWMonitor or Speedfan, run IntelBurnTest (again set at 10 runes, Stress level High)
5. It will either say there were some errors and you need to back off or juice up, or you're good to go and so you rinse and repeat.
3. Save BIOS, boot up, log into windows.

Once you've crashed, or it doesn't enter windows, or windows glitches and doesn't run smoothly, go back down a notch, and use that as your max settings. Then overnight, run Prime95 (make sure that your computer doesn't go to sleep, change the power settings) and if it runs good (anywhere varying from 6hrs-24hrs) without a problem, that's your stable OC.
m
l
!