Raid 0 or Raid 1 using built in Intel Controller on a H57 Motherboard

charliebird

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
My Dell XPS 8100 came with two 750gb harddrives in a raid 0 configuration. The motherboard type is a H57 and it has a built in Intel controller card that supports Raid 0 and 1. With the raid 0 configuration Windows 7 gave a storage performance score of 6.0. I rebuilt the system using raid 1 configuration and the performance score went down .1 points to 5.9. Space isn't an issue for me so I'm not worried about lossing 750gb of storage in a mirrored configuration. Performance is a bigger issue since I like my systems nice an fast. Is a .1 score increase worth the risk of lossing a stripped disk set if I have a hard drive failure. Should I even mess with a raided configuration with this system? Is the Windows 7 scoring system accurate at all? I'm open to all advice and opinions.

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
My win7 performance score stayed at 5.9 before, and after, the RAID 0. The scoring system is not really accurate and I think it takes into account access time which does not get better or worse, appreciably, in RAID configurations.

The way to go above 6 is with an SSD. And, by the way, the way to make your system fast is with an SSD. Prices are crashing down. Win7 should always be on an SSD even if it's only a 30 gb (basically boot partition). Keep your RAID 1 for all your files, games, pictures, videos, etc.