Start up problems

randiandi

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I just installed windows vista ultimate 64bit and it worked fine for a while then it started to not boot. The comp starts up and everything goes to the windows vista bar and then goes to black screen while everything is running still and wont even move. (safe mode works fine)

mobo GA-EP45T-UD3P
cpu intel q8200
ram 4gbs ddr3 1333 mhz

HELP!

It certainly sounds like something got installed that shouldn't have. What that is, that's the question. Could have been an auto update for instance, or a virus.

I would start with the video driver though. Uninstall that and see if it will boot normally.

I don't see how, if it's booting into safe mode fine. You say it worked "fine for a while" but I'm not a psychic :) Does that mean 5 minutes or 5 months?

Can you back up your important files and reformat and re-install? You need to first find out if it's hardware or software, and it's sounding like software to me.

bilbat

Splendid
First thing is to go to 'updates', look at your update history and see if: you had any updates listed as 'unsuccessful'; or, if there was an update that occurred at the same time it went bad on you. I recommend leaving automatic updates off; I want it to tell me when it wants an update - then I know what's going on; can, say, roll it back and tell it "don't do that again!"