Data saving from a dead hd

G

I have a dead hard drive with many photos of 2 years. They mean a lot to us. Do you know anybody, who can save these datas from the hd?
I appreciate any contact details.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What can be done depends completely on what is wrong. The phrase "dead hard drive" does not tell us that detail. I suspect that is because you are not personally a a computer "techie" that knows all this stuff, so you probably will need some help. You might choose to take it to a local computer shop in hopes that they can find something relatively simple and fix it for you. You could use these forums to learn the steps and techniques and do as much as possible yourself. You could choose to spend a lot of money and ship it to a professional data recovery shop that is VERY likely to get most of your data back, but MAY be very expensive.

There are sequences of activity used to diagnose what is really wrong. The first things usually are to look for simple stuff like faulty connector cables by substitution with known-good ones. Maybe moving the unit to another machine known to be good can help. Then there are diagnostic software tools used to test an HDD unit for actual hardware flaws. If those do not appear to exist, or can be fixed easily without data loss, you might just have your stuff back. Or, if that is insufficient, there are data recovery and Partition Recovery tools you can try.

If you want to try it yourself, let us know here and people can chime in to suggest what to do when.

Hard drives always will eventually fail. You have to back important files up or eventually you will loose them. If the HDD truly is dead (power or head problem) then the very expensive route is the only way to go. "Very expensive" can mean up to a few thousand dollars.