Intel Dual Core Processors... Cause restart problems?

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Hey all,
Let me give you the info on my office system:

3 pc's (including server) have the following:
MSI mobo
3.2 gig Intel single-core processors
1 gig of RAM

1 pc (of 2 newer ones) has the following:
Intel mobo
e6400 2.2gig Intel Dual Core
4 gig of RAM

1 pc (of 2 newer ones) has the following:
Gigabyte mobo
e2200 2.2gig Intel Dual Core
1 gig of RAM

The problem I am having is with the 2 newer PC's which both have the Dual Core CPU's. All software and updates are the same on all the systems (except the server has a backup utility)

The problem is when the 2 newer PC's restart, and go to the Log-in screen, you have to let it sit at the log-in screen for at least 2 minutes before you actually log-on... otherwise it will start to load the user then restart the PC automatically.

I tried upgrading the power supplies but it did'nt change anything.

Thoughts?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
memory - but if it happend all at once it could or is ms updates -

or you got hit with virus and it reset the bios

or you had power off and bios is reset

could be alot of things need more details of events

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
if it were the updates, why aren't all the pc's having this problem?

the only software on all of them is xppro and the pos program [except the server]

both pc's have been acting like this since they were built, the Intel mobo pc was built last sept., the gigabyte pc was built last week.

thought's?

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Sounds like a problem starting a service or a driver. The 2 minute delay you need is probably the time Windows takes to timeout and quit trying to start the service. Probably either your "POS program" or some type of attached hardware doesn't like something in the new chipsets.

Try checking your event logs, or use msconfig and gradually try disabling startup services to find which is causing problems. Check for updates/solutions on all the software/hardware you have installed.

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008

Thats what i was thinking, that it must have to take some time to load something up... but the only thing it loads besides the basics is the POS system (which is a single program). As far as hardware, both systems that are doing this do not have any of the same hardware... both are totally diffrent from one another.

Both mobo's are using their on-board video/sound/network... there are no additional cards being used for either of them.

I've been consistant with updates for all 5 pc's, not just Windows, but also the mobo manufacturer updates.

How am I able to see what is starting in what order and how much system time it is taking to load? If I can see what is taking the longest on both systems (if they are the same files) then that must be it...