Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3LR RAID question...?

anonymouse876

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I made this account a while back but never used it, so I guess I'm just a newbie to the forums here and I have a question about the motherboard in this thread's title - with the upgrade route I'm going, I am ordering this motherboard, along with a new CPU and 2nd HDD for a RAID 1 config. Would it be possible to - after successfully installing the board - synchronize the drives and copy all the information from the original HDD to the blank one? I've heard some horror stories about people loosing their info by doing this and was wondering if I would end up with one of those stories myself.

Thanks in advance! :hello:

r_manic

Administrator
I think your RAID setup automatically syncs the data on both drives. In any case, you can always back up your data first before doing anything. That's something you should definitely do :)

bilbat

Splendid
You're going to need a third location to move your data to - the process of 'building' or initializing the RAID array wipes it clean; you're also likely to need to do a fresh windows install (bite the bullet and go right to Win7 - it's great) as, besides the RAID drivers, you'll likely have many chipset and onboard peripheral drivers that differ from your old install, which will prevent it from loading successfully...