Sign in with
Your question

What makes cpu's of the same model line better? memory? speed? varies?

Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2009 10:53:01 PM

I am considering which processor to get to replace my old one. Now my preference is to get the kind (AMD 64 X2 socket AM2 )with3Ghz speed 2mb L2 cache. Now I want to know how much of a difference it makes if any far as cache and speed. Newer ones of the same line with the same speed as some of the older ones have less memory. Does that make them perform less or do they perform the same. I probably would like to get a 3 Ghz processor but I saw one a bit cheaper that is 2.8 Ghz. Now the 2.8 Ghz one has the 2mb L2 cache. Do you think it is really worth it for .2 Ghz? I was told I wouldn't be able to OC because I have an hp pavilion a6050e so that doesn't seem to play into this equation. Can someone help me make sense of it all?
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2009 11:25:53 PM

as a general rule, you can't OC branded 'off the shelf' computers, the bios is modified and does't allow any changes to be made to the important settings. You can check it out by entering the bios and seeing for yourself if you can...

larger cache within the same architecture might compensate for like 0.1 or 0.2GHz difference in clockspeed, but it pretty much depends on the application.

I'd suggest, if your mobo supports (bios update?), to get one of those new phenomII tricores. Clock for clok the performance is better than with the older arch and you'll get an extra core over the duals (and lower power consumption because of smaller 45nm tech)
March 15, 2009 6:03:16 AM

lets: make triple sure that your pavilion BIOS supports the specific model faster CPU that you are interested in. Normally, this is NOT the case, and you would have to buy at least a new motherboard as well. You cannot go by generalities such as speed or power consumption, you need to make sure that the specific CPU model is supported by the BIOS. HP tech support should be able to tell you if a specific CPU model is supported.
Checking the HP support site, it looks like the latest BIOS update is dated November 2007, so any CPU models released after that date likely will NOT be supported.

Related resources
March 15, 2009 6:07:18 AM

hack the crystal you can oc anything!

like the old days!
March 19, 2009 7:40:00 AM

If, my only option is to upgrade to a better dual core is any of those upgrades pretty much the same or is one clearly better? I have socket AM2 minus the plus.
!