Sign in with
Your question

PC keeps freezing - bizarre display. emachines t6540, geforce 6150LE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2009 5:58:46 AM

Hi all you gurus - really appreciate your thoughts on this. My son's machine is an emachines with Geforce 6150LE purchased 15 months ago. It's had frequent freezes, often many times a day. Doesn't seem to be linked to any specific activity.

I've run diagnostics at various times checking the temps - everything looked normal. This is a refurb- may have been a bad video or cpu, but not sure how to diagnose.

Has anyone seen this specific failure pattern? I'm assuming it's the video board - appreciate any guidance! Thanks -

Rob

More about : freezing bizarre display emachines t6540 geforce 6150le

January 13, 2009 4:44:49 AM

Im having the exact same issue Rob.Im assuming its the onboard as well,but im not 100% sure.Im hoping a PCI-e video card will fix the problem w/o having to replace the mobo.Anybody know?
m
l
January 13, 2009 12:04:39 PM

does the video look when this when you first start the computer up? can you can the bios screen and the logo? and does it just do it in windows. also if you have pci-e card anykind will work or pci video card put it in and see if you get the same problem if you do. it might be the cpu but i think it is the video card
m
l
January 21, 2009 1:38:24 AM

I have the same problem; display looks the same. I've checked temps, replaced monitor driver, replaced ram, reloaded software from factory cd. It has been suggested that I try a video card (fairly expensive) or replace the onboard video. This is new territory for me. Is onboard video replacement a good thing to try? How do I go about doing it?
m
l
January 22, 2009 7:05:40 PM

anyone have info on replacing onboard video?
m
l
March 5, 2009 1:34:02 PM

okay, I replaced the onboard video driver. No change.
The only thing I can think of now that might fix the situation is a video card.

Anyone have comments or ideas?

The Power supply is only 300 watts.

I never did see a resolution on the topic above.

-chuck
m
l
March 5, 2009 1:57:47 PM

darthdeath said:
Im having the exact same issue Rob.Im assuming its the onboard as well,but im not 100% sure.Im hoping a PCI-e video card will fix the problem w/o having to replace the mobo.Anybody know?

DID you ever find a resolution to this problem???
m
l
March 12, 2009 2:23:22 AM

killz86 said:
does the video look when this when you first start the computer up? can you can the bios screen and the logo? and does it just do it in windows. also if you have pci-e card anykind will work or pci video card put it in and see if you get the same problem if you do. it might be the cpu but i think it is the video card

Guys

This occurs only after the machine's been running a while, no set pattern - sometimes quick, sometimes takes a long time. Generally at least once a day, maybe more.

This never occurs during startup, only after some variable period of time. The machine temps are consistently ok.

We are only running windows, so I can't try otherwise. Actually I have linux on a USB somewhere, I'll check that out -great idea.

My plan has been to find a PCI card and try it, and I just need to do it. I am convinced this will solve it, I just have to get on with it.

Thanks all - I'll let you know

Rob
m
l
March 12, 2009 2:50:45 AM

still sounds like we have the same problem
my freezeup time is usually 2 to 15 minutes
no indication of overheating

I got a good pci-e x16 card and installed it.
sorry, same problem yet.

-chuck
m
l
March 19, 2009 12:23:07 AM

thanks rangers, great link. wish they had some word on a resolution, but surely it's via the manufacturers only. Of course we were "just" out of warranty when we reported this. I noted that TexasChuck's problem wasn't solved by installing a separate card - wouldn't you think it would take the onboard chip out of the loop?
m
l
!