K9N Platinum and Phenom Support

chamoore

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Since BX-Master model (1999) I've used many MSI motherboards. I like the quality and tech support of this brand.

But K9N Platinum and other nForce 570-590 chipset boards of MSI are really disappointment. After AMD launched backward compatible (!) Phenom processors, many manufacturers released bios updates for old good 570 series motherboards. But nothing from MSI.

For example, ASUS M2N-E (nForce 570 Ultra MCP) supports Phenom X4 CPUs. But MSI K9N almost identical board does not support.

There must be 2 logical answers for this case :

1 - MSI completely forgot these series and customer support. And they just want to sell new boards.

or

2 - K9N Platinum and other 570 series have serious design problems.

Any ideas ?

yonef

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
There is nothing that MSI can do with crappy nvidia chipsets :D (my opinion)
I'm using K9A2 of MSI and my phenom II works flawless.

Mondoman

Splendid
ch - I wouldn't say "many" manufacturers released updates. ASUS and Gigabyte are usually pretty good about BIOS updates. Most other manufacturers are not, and that's one reason why ASUS/Gigabyte often cost a bit more. You pay for service.

pigpicking

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
totally off subject i just wanted to say i have a micro atx board and my old g card was a 1650 pro but i upgraded to a 9800gtx+ but soon enough ill grab a sweet sli board or go with the crossfire of 4870 or wait for 5870 and use the 9800 as a dedicated physx card =)