A bit worried about my CPU heat...

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I recently upgraded to an AMD phenom II x4 965 125w and I noticed the fan runs VERY loudly when playing games so I installed SpeedFan and saw that it was running at 6500 rpm and my cpu temp was at 54 celcius just after 10 mins of GTA IV play - and the max temperature it should be at is 62 degrees.

What do you guys think? Should I install a water cooling system or get a better fan? Not sure what to do right now and I'm on a student's budget!

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
whats your room temperature and what case do u use? GTA IV is a cpu maniac, it will stress any cpu to its limits. u can get a nice cheap heatsink like cooler master 212+ or Arctic Cooling Freezer 64.

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I've just got one of those cheap generic cases by.. x-case? is it? It's a model of a mini cooper lol, and it has a fan on the side. I think I'll go with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64. And just wondering - when they state that the max temperature is 62C does that mean the max temperature it'll hover around or temperature that it will start to fall to pieces?

bbeben

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
In the end I decided to go with a new case + cpu fan.

I bought a NZXT Hades Steel Black Midi Case and Titan Fenrir. Just wait for them to come through the mail!

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
The max temperature is basically the limit where you can be assured that if your system is configured correctly, it should be rock stable. ie, not crashing, hanging, BSOD, etc.