Warning about SimPE and packaging sims

I wrote about this earlier, but I feel this deserves its own thread with its
own subject line.

There have been a few discussions lately about packaging individual sims
using the sim surgery option in SimPE, namely, packaging the sims so that
you can use the sim again while creating a new family by having a copy in
the Pre-existing Sim queue.

I did this myself, packaging about 20 sims from both of my neighborhoods,
and the problems started almost right away. The package files would become
corrupted somehow, (and I think this may have been caused by changing the
appearance of a sim ingame using a mirror) causing a game crash when I tried
to use a mirror to change a sim's appearance, trying to create-a-sim in the
create-a-family screen, and crashing Body Shop when I tried to create new
sims in that program. Removing the packaged files would stop those crashes,
but for me, that caused another serious problem.

Somehow, the package files in the Saved Sims folder were still referencing
the character files in the neighborhood folder, because the sim whose
package file became corrupt would be ruined. The sim's plumbbob was
disembodied and hanging in the corner of the lot; the sim himself was not
visible, and the invisible sim could not initiate any activities, including
eating and going to the bathroom, for example. They would be immediately
cancelled. In addition to being invisible, the sim was also not selectable.
Selecting the plumbob with the move_objects cheat active would only identify
it as "plumbbob," not as the sim. Deleting the plumbbob did nothing. It
would be regenerated if you were to select the sim from the family panel
(the only way you can select the sim). I have had this happen to five sims
now of my original twenty or so packaged. One was completely ruined, who I
was only able to restore partially through a backup and some fiddling with
SimPE (which took a couple hours). I doubt she'll ever be fully fixed. The
other four were not ruined only by virtue of the fact that I had a recent
enough backup of each of those sim's character files, and that the sim did
not undergo an age transition between the creation of the backup file and
its restoration. If I did not have a backup of any of those sims, I would
have had to have killed the sims, and probably their whole family with them.

(I should note that restoring an old backup file does not change as much as
I thought it would. A sim's memories, friendships, job status and quite
possibly many other things were not overwritten when a restored backup was
put in the game. Those aspects of a sim's life are stored somewhere else,
which may help explain why these corruptions might have happened in the
first place.)

So I would advise anyone reading this to not use sim surgery to export your
individual sims into your pre-existing sims queue. If you absolutely have
to for whatever reason, however, I would strongly suggest that instead of
packaging the sim you play, package that sim's family, run the package and
install a copy of the family in a neighborhood created for this purpose,
then package *that* copy of the sim using SimPE. That way, if the file
becomes corrupt, you're not losing a sim that you play.

HTH,
More about warning simpe packaging sims

    Thanks Charles but I have the latest SimPE and Sim surgery option is
    greyed out so I can't use it. Maybe it
    is for the best huh? Thanks again for your post.

    .........B

    "Jay&B" <someplace@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks Charles but I have the latest SimPE and Sim surgery option is
    > greyed out so I can't use it. Maybe it
    > is for the best huh? Thanks again for your post.

    Absolutely. I made the mistake of deleting my old Body-shop Sims but had The
    Jones family, including Carmina Creepy in the game on an empty plot. I spent
    some time this morning trying to work out how to clone and export them.

    I am glad now I remained baffled.

    Granny.

    I exported *one* Sim as you describe.

    It worked quite well, but I haven't used
    body shop since nor have I used a mirror
    to "change appearance".

    Now I'd be afraid to do that again...

    When I make a sim in Body Shop, the Sim
    looks different in Create-a-Sim; and all too
    often the Sim looks different in the game
    than in CAS.

    "gnohmon" <gnohmon@panix.com> wrote in message
    >I exported *one* Sim as you describe.
    >
    > It worked quite well, but I haven't used
    > body shop since nor have I used a mirror
    > to "change appearance".
    >
    > Now I'd be afraid to do that again...
    >
    > When I make a sim in Body Shop, the Sim
    > looks different in Create-a-Sim; and all too
    > often the Sim looks different in the game
    > than in CAS.

    I have the latest SimPE but the Sim Surgery option is greyed out.
    Wonder why? Help please. I probably won't use it but I still wonder why
    it's greyed out.

    Thanks.........B

    "gnohmon" <gnohmon@panix.com> wrote in message
    >I exported *one* Sim as you describe.
    >
    > It worked quite well, but I haven't used
    > body shop since nor have I used a mirror
    > to "change appearance".
    >
    > Now I'd be afraid to do that again...

    What I'd do is move the file out of the Saved Sims folder, run that sim's
    house and see if you have any problems.

    The worst thing that happened in my game when I removed an uncorrupted
    packaged sim file is that my sim didn't have a face ingame, and instead had
    a blue face floating in the air where the sim's face would be were the sim
    standing up and still. (that is, if the sim is sitting in a chair or
    sleeping in bed, the blue face would be hovering above them. If she were
    standing up still, the face would fit properly. If she were walking around,
    the face would not bob along with the sim's head properly) If you have this
    problem, using the mirror restores the sim's face, although I'm not exactly
    sure if it's precisely the same face as what the sim had previously, and
    you'll have to restore makeup, masks and maybe glasses if that sim did in
    fact have any of those. If there had been a difference in my sim's
    appearance after this, it was that eyes and lips may have turned smaller and
    harsher looking, and the eye color changed. But since all my sims who
    suffered from this problem wore makeup, it could have just been a
    consequence of losing that and me not appreciating what the sims looked like
    without it.

    Hope that helps,

    "gnohmon" <gnohmon@panix.com> wrote in message
    >I exported *one* Sim as you describe.

    8( I think I am growing dim. Couldn;t work out how to export a Sim
    yesterday. Now I have managed to get all the plugins in SimPe to work I
    can't sort out how to make pictures.

    They show up in downloaded files as packages, but get them in the game? How
    but? I'm missing something, somewhere.

    > It worked quite well, but I haven't used
    > body shop since nor have I used a mirror
    > to "change appearance".
    >
    > Now I'd be afraid to do that again...
    >
    > When I make a sim in Body Shop, the Sim
    > looks different in Create-a-Sim; and all too
    > often the Sim looks different in the game
    > than in CAS.

    That's funny... Can;t say I have noticed it....
    I will tell you something though. After losing a whole batch of carefully
    crafted little faces on my Sims I will make jolly sure I package them all up
    and put them somewhere safe in future. For the future.
    If I have to make one more Sherlock Holmes I will go potty. 8(

    Granny CA.

    >I exported *one* Sim as you describe.
    >It worked quite well, but I haven't used
    >body shop since nor have I used a mirror
    >to "change appearance".

    >Now I'd be afraid to do that again...

    >When I make a sim in Body Shop, the Sim
    >looks different in Create-a-Sim; and all too
    >often the Sim looks different in the game
    >than in CAS.

    Well I used the surgery options extensively all weekend. I'm building
    a new neighbourhood and used it to export my favourites Sims from the
    existing neighbourhoods plus I used it to change the appearance of the
    NPCs. Body Shop, Create-a-Sim etc all worked a charm, no problems at
    all.

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I exported *one* Sim as you describe.
    >>It worked quite well, but I haven't used
    >>body shop since nor have I used a mirror
    >>to "change appearance".
    >
    >>Now I'd be afraid to do that again...
    >
    >>When I make a sim in Body Shop, the Sim
    >>looks different in Create-a-Sim; and all too
    >>often the Sim looks different in the game
    >>than in CAS.
    >
    > Well I used the surgery options extensively all weekend. I'm building
    > a new neighbourhood and used it to export my favourites Sims from the
    > existing neighbourhoods plus I used it to change the appearance of the
    > NPCs. Body Shop, Create-a-Sim etc all worked a charm, no problems at
    > all.

    That's not inconsistent with my story at all. I didn't have any problems at
    first either. It was about two weeks down the road when those package files
    became corrupt somehow that I started getting the crashes and the ruined
    sims.

    I'd get the crashes, removing the bad file fixed it, but the sim whose
    package file it had been was ruined and unrecoverable (with only one
    exception, and that sim had the "blue face" problem). I don't know what
    caused the corruption.

    I did all of my Pleasant Village Sims using clone, and that was weeks ago. I
    started the first one months ago. I did notice that the clone files and the
    original Sims (even in different neighbourhoods) had some relation to each
    other, hard to describe what exactly. One example is that of two clones in
    different neighbourhoods (and the original in a third) I changed the clothes
    on one and the other clones clothes changed too.

    But no other real problems. My clone files are stored in sub-folders until I
    need them, and my superfluous testing clones are deleted. Maybe this
    separation is why I have had none of the corruption problems you are
    describing. Has anyone thought to tell these problems to the plug-in
    creator?

    MM

    > "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >I exported *one* Sim as you describe.
    > >>It worked quite well, but I haven't used
    > >>body shop since nor have I used a mirror
    > >>to "change appearance".
    > >
    > >>Now I'd be afraid to do that again...
    > >
    > >>When I make a sim in Body Shop, the Sim
    > >>looks different in Create-a-Sim; and all too
    > >>often the Sim looks different in the game
    > >>than in CAS.
    > >
    > > Well I used the surgery options extensively all weekend. I'm building
    > > a new neighbourhood and used it to export my favourites Sims from the
    > > existing neighbourhoods plus I used it to change the appearance of the
    > > NPCs. Body Shop, Create-a-Sim etc all worked a charm, no problems at
    > > all.
    >
    > That's not inconsistent with my story at all. I didn't have any problems
    at
    > first either. It was about two weeks down the road when those package
    files
    > became corrupt somehow that I started getting the crashes and the ruined
    > sims.
    >
    > I'd get the crashes, removing the bad file fixed it, but the sim whose
    > package file it had been was ruined and unrecoverable (with only one
    > exception, and that sim had the "blue face" problem). I don't know what
    > caused the corruption.

Sims Games Video Games