Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Real Impact of Differences in Internet Connection Speeds

Last response: in Toms Network
March 3, 2010 2:22:11 AM

I want to quantify difference between a 15Mbps and a 25Mbps connection in real terms.

I guess 25Mbps is in theory 66% faster than 15Mbps -- but what will that really mean to me on a day-to-day basis?
Anonymous
March 3, 2010 7:31:32 AM

Performance is variable throughout the day. Once you squeeze it through a wireless link you'll be lucky to get half the speed the ISP actually delivers (never mind the "up-to" figure). In other words any figures are largely theoretical.
m
l

Best solution

March 3, 2010 12:54:32 PM

You also have to remember that you're only one side of the equation. Let's assume everything was perfect on your side. You had a full 25mpbs available, all day, all night. Wonderful. It's like being given the keys to a Ferrari.

So now you take it on the open road and find there are speed limits outside your neighborhood, roads are closed or under constructions, detours, clogged highways, and maybe the place you're headed to is even closed!

IOW, you can have all the wonderfulness possible on your side, but the Internet is full of others who can’t live up to your potential. That website you're trying to download from may be oversaturated, may be limiting concurrent users, may have bandwidth limitations less than your own, etc. Doesn't matter a lick if you have 25mbps at your disposal when the other guy can’t get data to you any faster than 3mbps!

That's why a lot of these deals from the ISP for increased bandwidth on higher priced plans are bogus. The number of times you'll be able to put the pedal to the metal w/ that new "Ferrari" plan is few and far between. The Internet is much less a racetrack and more a collection of highways, country roads, and occasional potholes.

Related resources
March 3, 2010 1:31:26 PM

Quote:
Performance is variable throughout the day. Once you squeeze it through a wireless link you'll be lucky to get half the speed the ISP actually delivers (never mind the "up-to" figure). In other words any figures are largely theoretical.

Thanks. But assuming I did get the full 25Mbps how much of a difference would I notice between that and a full 15Mbps connection?
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:32:25 PM

eibgrad said:
You also have to remember that you're only one side of the equation. Let's assume everything was perfect on your side. You had a full 25mpbs available, all day, all night. Wonderful. It's like being given the keys to a Ferrari.

So now you take it on the open road and find there are speed limits outside your neighborhood, roads are closed or under constructions, detours, clogged highways, and maybe the place you're headed to is even closed!

IOW, you can have all the wonderfulness possible on your side, but the Internet is full of others who can’t live up to your potential. That website you're trying to download from may be oversaturated, may be limiting concurrent users, may have bandwidth limitations less than your own, etc. Doesn't matter a lick if you have 25mbps at your disposal when the other guy can’t get data to you any faster than 3mbps!

That's why a lot of these deals from the ISP for increased bandwidth on higher priced plans are bogus. The number of times you'll be able to put the pedal to the metal w/ that new "Ferrari" plan is few and far between. The Internet is much less a racetrack and more a collection of highways, country roads, and occasional potholes.

Thanks. But assuming I did get the full 25Mbps how much of a difference would I notice between that and a full 15Mbps connection?
m
l
March 3, 2010 5:01:14 PM

robby said:

A current ISO of Ubuntu requires a download of 689MB.

@ 15mbps it will take 6 mins, 7 secs
@ 25mbps it will take 3 mins, 40 secs
m
l
March 13, 2010 3:12:13 PM

Best answer selected by robby.
m
l
!