Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7-860 liquid cooled temps

Last response: in Overclocking
May 13, 2010 11:03:05 PM

I have a Maximus III Formula M.B. and an i7-860 CPU.
My case is the Antec 1200 w/ the additional 120mm fan mounted on the side.
I use Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima XT w/ Triple 120mm radiator for cooling (CPU only).
I am using 8GB OCZ Dual-Channel DDR3-1600 RAM, 8-8-8-24.
Probably not important, but I also have a Corsair Dominator Memory Fan mounted over my RAM.

I have HT (HyperThread) enabled as I find it boots/logs in much faster with this than without and programs seem to load quicker.
I dropped my base frequency to 160MHz, and my multiplier is set to 21. (I did have HT off, multiplier at 19, and base at 184.)
Current core voltage is 1.232, as reported by CPU-Z, set at 1.2375 in BIOS.
My idle temps are 45'C, 85'C at 100%.
I believe these temps should be lower. I used just enough Arctic Silver to cover the CPU when I mounted the cooling block (very thin layer).
At first, I thought maybe I didn't use enough, but after reading on here, I don't think that is the case.

Any thoughts on this, please?
Can anyone offer any other suggestions here?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 13, 2010 11:43:50 PM

Can you confirm that your pump is moving water? Is it making a loud sound?

Air bubbles can be trapped in the pump hindering it's ability to move water.

Does your radiator have good airflow?
m
l
May 14, 2010 2:00:35 AM

The monitoring system says the pump is turning at 4313 RPM, and there is good airflow with the radiator. The pump is not noisy.
There are no longer air bubbles in the lines, but looking at the reservoir I see movement of the liquid, so there must be flow within the (closed) system.

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2010 9:37:44 AM

I've seen the i7-860 at around 3.6GHz with them temps on air.. you should be plenty cooler with a liquid cooling system!! Where is your radiator placed? Also.. I've had high temps before and tried everything to lower them.. then I decided to take my cooler off the CPU, clean, and mount it a second time - temps dropped by 15C! I can only think I either didn't have enough thermal compound or I hadn't clamped the heatsink down properly. Everything looked fine.. the the temps obviously weren't!

If you're using arctic silver or mx2 etc it doesn't matter if you use a little more than you normally would as they have such high heat transfer rates.

If you can't see anything wrong with the flow or radiator, I would suggest re-mounting your block and see if it helps.
m
l
May 15, 2010 10:05:11 AM

I'd say that's a lot warmer than it should be. I'm running the 860 on air @ 3.8 with idle temps in the high 30s and prime95 load max temp of 68.

You did use TIM right? You might also try reseating your Apogee perhaps you didn't get it on flush. While it's off take a razor blade and check to see that both the block and the cpu are both as even as possible.

If either have major variation then you could consider lapping. Keep in mind that it'd void the warranty of either item however. I also noticed you said you had it running on a 3x120. Did you replace the 2x120 that came with the kit, and if so what kind of rad is it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 126 K Overclocking
May 15, 2010 10:58:26 AM

I had a problem like this (but much worse) Got my custom water loop all ready to go

Heat killer 3.0 LC
XSPC 120.3 Triple Rad
XSPC Res Top
Swifttech Pump

Booted into windows and to my horror my idle temps were in the 70's :lol: 

Reseated my CPU block and temps went down to low 30's idle and high 40/low 50's load
m
l
May 15, 2010 5:48:00 PM

Damn fatal, If it didn't lower temps, i would gladly take that setup :D 
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2010 7:59:44 PM

jebuchanan said:
I have a Maximus III Formula M.B. and an i7-860 CPU.
My case is the Antec 1200 w/ the additional 120mm fan mounted on the side.
I use Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima XT w/ Triple 120mm radiator for cooling (CPU only).
I am using 8GB OCZ Dual-Channel DDR3-1600 RAM, 8-8-8-24.
Probably not important, but I also have a Corsair Dominator Memory Fan mounted over my RAM.

I have HT (HyperThread) enabled as I find it boots/logs in much faster with this than without and programs seem to load quicker.
I dropped my base frequency to 160MHz, and my multiplier is set to 21. (I did have HT off, multiplier at 19, and base at 184.)
Current core voltage is 1.232, as reported by CPU-Z, set at 1.2375 in BIOS.
My idle temps are 45'C, 85'C at 100%.
I believe these temps should be lower. I used just enough Arctic Silver to cover the CPU when I mounted the cooling block (very thin layer).
At first, I thought maybe I didn't use enough, but after reading on here, I don't think that is the case.

Any thoughts on this, please?
Can anyone offer any other suggestions here?

Remove the water block, then remove the plastic film from the CPU side of it. Reapply thermal paste, and reinstall the water block.
May 16, 2010 10:32:34 PM

I removed the water block, cleaned it and the CPU of all residue, and re-applied arctic silver. I then remounted the block, went to the store, and upon returning, turned on the power and logged in.
Temps at current settings: core 3 @ 26, core 0 @ 31. Re seating it seems to have made a big difference. Note, this was my original thought, but I came here first for additional suggestions as I trust the members of this board for their valuable assistance.
Thank you all.

Oh, my radiator is Swiftech's Triple 120mm radiator. I did substitute it for the dual 120mm in the kit.
Upped my OC to 3.5GHz, temps only increased 2 degrees at idle. I will be upping the clock higher still later.
m
l
May 16, 2010 11:23:02 PM

Crashman said:
Remove the water block, then remove the plastic film from the CPU side of it. Reapply thermal paste, and reinstall the water block.

Embarrassingly, I did forget to remove the plastic from the water block. Thank you for the reply.

m
l
May 16, 2010 11:23:06 PM

Best answer selected by jebuchanan.
m
l
!