AMD Phenom x4 9950 black edition overclock question

Hi everybody, I'm not sure about overclock my cpu from 2.6Ghz to 2.8 or 2.9 Ghz, If this posible?
My system is :
Motherboard: ECS gf8200a
PSU: Coolermaster extreme power plus 600 watt
GPU: Zotac gts 250 AMP
RAM: 2gb ddr2 800mhz
1HD 500 gb
1 dvdwr
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9950 2.66ghz

I want to read your opinions
9 answers Last reply
More about phenom 9950 black edition overclock question
  1. Where can I find a guide for overclok this kind of cpu?
  2. what type of CPU cooler do you use, do you have stock cooling or something different.
    try downloading something like coretemp to find your temperatures and report back here, if they are high your odds of OC'ing are low.
  3. the cpu and core temperatures are around 43- 44 ºC
  4. okay, well, anything under 3Ghz shouldnt be a HUGE task, assuming your temps dont skyrocket.
  5. You're going to have some real trouble with that chip, the original Phenoms are TERRIBLE overclockers. Most struggle to hit 3Ghz, and you'll need to make sure to keep your temperatures in check, as they are already 140w CPUs.
  6. Ok, I will not overclock, Thanks for the advice.
  7. jedimasterben said:
    You're going to have some real trouble with that chip, the original Phenoms are TERRIBLE overclockers. Most struggle to hit 3Ghz, and you'll need to make sure to keep your temperatures in check, as they are already 140w CPUs.

140W ? the initial release was but mine is 125W
  8. cera25 said:
    Hi everybody, I'm not sure about overclock my cpu from 2.6Ghz to 2.8 or 2.9 Ghz, If this posible?
    My system is :
    Motherboard: ECS gf8200a
    PSU: Coolermaster extreme power plus 600 watt
    GPU: Zotac gts 250 AMP
    RAM: 2gb ddr2 800mhz
    1HD 500 gb
    1 dvdwr
    CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9950 2.66ghz

I want to read your opinions

125W will easily reach 3.2Ghz, 140W 3.0G, your limitations will be your ECS motherboard and what overclocking capabilities it has.

You'll need a good after market cooling solution to get there, and good case airflow.

Also the most important thing an overclocking education, and you can start with the guide in my sig.
  9. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Product