Rambus XDR2 Memory

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
I noticed an ad for this item here on TH, but can find no comments about it. There's a link in the ad to a video that is not all the informative as far as my experience with it goes.

Is the XDR2 suitable for consumer desktop PCs? Would installing it in a state of the art gaming or video editing comp be worth the cost, and the possible hassle of tracking down a compatible motherboard, etc.? Or should one be content with DDR3-2000 or some similar close to cutting-edge memory sticks?

Just curious for now but if my oil tanker comes in I would build a machine with a $6,000 or so budget. Nothing too fancy, just fast and reliable and able to breeze along with a 26 inch LCD at maximum resolution. TIA boys and grils.

drmario2007

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Well, it can and will be the reality. The CPUs are now nearing the breaking point with DDR3 - which mean everytime newer and faster leaves the foundry, their FSB explodes up to monstrous base FSB speed (which is the value right inside the CPUs' on-die Northbridge - which is linked directly to both memory controller, in that case, either DDR3 or XIO controllers and Level-3 cache RAM [Nowaday, L3 cache and DRAM controllers are tied together. Take AMD Opteron Barcelona and/or Istanbul for example. Of course, Core i7 is also a good example.)

So, motherboards are being designed, as of right now, to hold XDR-DRAM modules just to allevate the memory bottlenecks that the CPUs are at the tip of limit right now. I can promise you that, as it's hitting the market, it will no doubt run much faster than DDR3. (Which make playing Crysis on this system a worthwhile - NO SLOWDOWN! ^___^ )