I need some opinions!

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I have had some problems after using vista for a while with my old sound blaster live!, which worked perfectly under windows xp, but with vista i needed some third party drivers. At first i thought about buying a new one, and i even asked for some advice at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/53645-32-what-vista-audigy-xtreme-audio but in al all, money runs short, and after seeing some windows 7 benchmarks (overall improvements over vista and xp), i decided using xp until windows 7 comes out, but i would like your opinions on the subject!

Do you think i should use xp or vista?

Im using a athlon 64 3500+ @ 2500mhz, 2gb ddr1 and a 9600gt, but im looking for playing a few games, and since my card is dx10, im afraid i might be loosing something on effects.

What do you think?

Xp, or vista, considering im using a 9600gt?

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

It frankly makes no difference. Use Vista if you want to take advantage of DX10 in various games. If you have no care for DX10, or play no games that actually use it, then XP is perfectly fine. The only reason to use Vista over XP, at the 32bit level, is DX10 frankly. When you get into DX10, and soon, DX11 (DX11 will likely hit around when Windows 7 does), and when/if you ever want to use 4gigs and higher amounts of RAM, then it'll be time to get an x64 OS (or whatever OS supports DX11 when it hits); or a combination of the two.

Note, your DX10 capable 9600gt will not have DX11 support when it hits next year, and you're already talking about not using an OS that supports DX10 (Vista) in favor of XP (DX9). I'm guessing you don't really care about DX10 effects at all or don't play games that even support DX10 effects. If that's the case, you're fine, because you probably won't care about DX11 either and you can just continue on with XP and DX9 until it totally stops getting support (and when games are released that only support DX10 as a minimum).

Very best,

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks!
I'll stick with xp a bit longer i guess, since i don't want to spend like 60€ on a new sound card just to be able to play older games on vista that do crash at the moment!
When windows 7 comes out, and it's first service pack, i might wonder about getting a new pc, till then, things will remain the same!

It wouldn't even make sense buying a new sound card, since when i'll buy a new board when windows 7 comes out, the onboard sound will be much more better!

I'm stuck with a athlon 64 3500+@2500mhz, so the only upgrade i'm going to make on it is a 1TB hard drive, and i'll leave the already existing 160gb with vista installed just for the sake of it!