Sign in with
Your question

Lost file Format on one partition of HDD. Please Help

Last response: in Storage
June 8, 2010 12:18:48 AM

Hello,
Hi,
In my desktop I have 2 drives, C drive with Windows XP SP2 and all the applications, the second drive Seagate 250GB partitioned to 2 partition. One named H "DATA" and the s the second no name just drive letter I.
Main board fried so W was left without desktop comp.
I took out the H/I HDD and wanted to use it ono my laptop in an external HDD casing so I removed a drive from my MAXTOR one Touch External drive and inserted my Seagate H/I drive. Since the USB port was already occupied I connected it via a FirwWire port. The message "New hardware found" and needed to install driver so I shoved in the CD that came with Maxtor Ext. HDD. Windows installed the driver and a message poped up "drive not formatted, do you want to format?". I clicked NO and disconnected the drive.
Now Windows can nor read the drive.
I run Partition Magic and found two Partitions:
DATA 128GB FAT 32 Starting as sector 63
Scond partition is 105 GB of unknown format Type 7 ,
First physical sector 268,462,215 cyl 16,711. hd 0. sect 1
Last physical sector 488,392,064 cal 30,400. hd 254 sect.63
When I run GetDataBack Partition DATA is fully recoverable but the second partition ,which is indicated as NTFS 105GB, scan results in error "I/O Error Unknown error (65284) reading sector 268462215 on HD129; Do you want to continue?" I answer Yes to All and scanning continues through all sectors and then massage "No file system found" we suggest using GDB for FAT.
I did with the result that no FAT file found , use NTFS version.

Any suggestions how to recover files from the second partition??????
Desparatly need help.

Marek_G
June 8, 2010 12:39:56 AM

If partition magic cant read the partition, then you possibly have physical damage. If you really need the data off of it, you may have to find a data recover company that will salvage what they can from your hard drive, but it may cost up to a few thousand $$ to go that way.

Its also possible the Maxtor one-touch driver (I hate how intrusive they made it) is causing the problem. You may need to remove and uninstall it.
m
l
June 8, 2010 1:48:04 AM

dndhatcher said:
If partition magic cant read the partition, then you possibly have physical damage. If you really need the data off of it, you may have to find a data recover company that will salvage what they can from your hard drive, but it may cost up to a few thousand $$ to go that way.

Its also possible the Maxtor one-touch driver (I hate how intrusive they made it) is causing the problem. You may need to remove and uninstall it.

Thanks for your thoughts but it is not the case.
There is no damage to the drive. And I am 100% sure the data is there. Now I have the drive connected via USB. I do not understand how it happened but the file format is gone.

Is there any way to get it back? I can not think of any but maybe somebody can.

m
l
!