Game Specific Benchmarking Tool(s)?

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Hey, I decided that synthetic benchmarks probably aren't the way to go, and I am looking for some game specific benchmark tools (or ways to create them simply).

For instance, I know there is a Crysis Benchmark Tool out on the interwebz, but I play a good amount of games like L4D2, SC2, TF2, etc... I know they're not that graphically intense, but still...

I did a search on the googles and on here, but found nothing...

I see they did a benchmark at this site here and was curious as to how they did it...

So the tl;dr version is, does anyone know of any benchmarking tools for L4D2 or any other games other recent games other than Crysis?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
A lot of reviews use FRAPS to do a benchmark (it just records the FPS for a specific amount of time) and they record the first 140 seconds of the intro to the game or whatever.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585-6.html

See when they show the information about the game being tested.

Example

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Custom (Highest) Quality Settings, 1xAA / No AF, 8x MSAA / No AF, vsync off, 1680x1050 / 1920x1200 / 2560x1600, opening cinematic, 145 second sequence, FRAPS

So you would match up the settings and resolution, then go to the opening cinematic and once it starts rendering hit the Benchmark hotkey on FRAPS (after setting FRAPS to record for 145 seconds) and once it finishes you can compare it to the review's results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585-13.html

That's how I do it anyways.

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
i actually just figured out the console commands for steam benchmarks...

you just use record and timedemo commands to record a section of gameplay, and then it will re-run thru it and spit out your FPS statistics. and i'm sure there is a way to script it to run a few times over to get a more stable result...

thanks tho!