theinstag8tor

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
I have a dell dimension 4600 that i had to replace the cpu fan..after replacing the fan still doesnt work..on startup i get a brief message that reads previous fan failure. any ideas?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Try plugging the fan into a different header. If it runs, you have a fault on the motherboard, if it doesn't, you have a faulty fan, RMA and get it replaced.

Mike

DaveF1953

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009

When you say it boots but as soon as heats up it turns off, do you mean the CPU fan?
Is the CPU fan running all the time. do tou have it on Power saving?

DaveF1953

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009

OK - starting from scratch. Are you certain you have adequate thermal paste on your CPU to make good connection to your heatsink? If not, you are touching the two surfaces, yet not letting the heat transfer through. On immediate power up, does the CPU fan spin immediately?
Does it spin full throttle, without any interference slowing it down? You say " when the CPU heats up the machine turns off" How do you know the CPU is heating up? Can you smell it?
Your CPU header is usually a 4 pin header that is keyed to only go in one direction. I hope you are plugging into the right header and the fan is spinning. Just please answer me back on the question - How do you know the CPU is heating up? and Upon initial turn on, is the CPU fan spinning? I know we can get you going if you haven't burnt your CPU.

theinstag8tor

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
The cpu fan isnt turning at all. The way i know that the cpu is heating up is that i can use an external fan aimed at the cpu and use the machine as long as i want. As soon as i turn off the fan about 3 mins or so later the machine shuts down.

DaveF1953

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
You need a new fan assembly, or, check the fan pins for proper voltage. From the sounds of it, you've solved your problem. Directing air across the CPU keeps it running. Do you have a socket 775 processor? They can be a little difficult to lock down. Borrow a fan and make sure it spins in your header, then buy a good quality fan with Good heat sink compound. You will be very happy, as will I. # minutes of no cooling is destroying your CPU. Stop doing this.

112inky

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Your CPU header is usually a 4 pin header that is keyed to only go in one direction. I hope you are plugging into the right header and the fan is spinning...