Asus P5N32 won't POST after overclocking

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hello,

I had recently overclocked my E6600 on the asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard.

I tried going to 3.45 and the system ran good enough for about 1hr with temps below 60. Then, a game I was playing crashed and I decided to lower the overclock.

During the restart, I decided to lower the overclock to 3.3Ghz. I saved my new bios and then restarted.
The message "NEW CPU deteced, ROMSIP table..." showed up and froze there for more than 5 mins. So I forced a shutdown.

Since then, I get no POST and nothing shows up on the screen.. just blank and black.

I tried changing RAM positions, CMOS restore but no joy...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

4GB RAM
ATI 4890

Solution
How did you reset the cmos? I like to unplug the computer from the wall, disconnect the battery, push the power button(on the computer as if you were going to start it), short the jumper, then wait a minute or so. If still no joy I would start from scratch and try booting with the bare essentials. Some of these older boards can be stubborn when a bad over happens.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
How did you reset the cmos? I like to unplug the computer from the wall, disconnect the battery, push the power button(on the computer as if you were going to start it), short the jumper, then wait a minute or so. If still no joy I would start from scratch and try booting with the bare essentials. Some of these older boards can be stubborn when a bad over happens.

Solution

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hey thanks.
Thats what I usually do. And I just tried what you suggested and nothing new.
Just a quick question though, when you say wait a minute or so, do you mean after I power it on? i.e. leave it on for a minute even though the screen is black and nothing seems to happen?

I also tried booting with only the CPU, Video Card, RAM, and PSU connected and no change in outcome.

Whats the best thing to do here?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
No I mean wait a min after pulling the battery and changing the jumper position.

You can try re seating the video card, or try a different pci slot. Different power connector if you have 1. Do the same with the ram, go with just one stick. I had a similar problem with my p5kc a while ago. For reasons I still can't explain, I wasn't able to get the thing going again until I re-built it out of the case. I then put everything back in the case and it worked. Sounds nuts, but that's what happened.

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007

I see..
I will try installing the video card in another slot. One thing though, I just noticed that 3 of 4 red lights on the 4890 are turned on. I would think though that this is due to the MB being unable to perform the POST or am I wrong?

For your P5KC, did the problem also occur after over-clocking?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
I woke up one day and it wouldn't boot after working fine the day before. It was an overclocking problem no doubt about it. The computer has been working ok since then. The p5kc isn't great with overclocking quads as I found out the hard way. I thought it was dead after tinkering with it for a few days off and on. I would assume yes about the lights but I'm not 100 percent, never owned an ATI product.

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hey thanks again..
Here I go again for another 2 hours of testing. LOL
The thing is I had this problem previously on this exact same rig and I fixed in a matter of hours. I played around with the parts and I got it to work somehow.. But for some reason this isn't working now. I guess it was a weird fix, kinda like yours LOL.

I will try your suggestions once again and see what I come up with.
Thanks again.

Do you, by any chance, have any experience with Asus RMA? Just in case LOL