Ready to pull the trigger, one last check...

I posted a thread last month looking for input regarding a new build (]) and got some good suggestions. Of course I screwed around and missed most of the big sales and now I'm tired of waiting, so I'm just going to suck it up and go ahead and order. I know prices will drop after Xmas and in January as well, and most likely the moment after I finalize my order, but so be it. I originally looked at the Q6600, then considered the E8500, and now I think I've made up my mind to go with the Q9550. I think quad core is a better choice for me, as I don't plan on upgrading for at least 2 to 3 years (probably closer to 4) and I think in the future I'll be better off with a quad. I'm undecided on the mobo. I'll list the two main ones I'm considering. I plan to OC the Q9550 at some point, sooner or later, but I am a noob to OCing so easier is better, not to mention the option of Xfire in the future. There's a good chance I'll pick up another card down the road and I know the P45 only supports 8x vs 16x for X48 boards with Xfire. Also, I've got a 22" monitor at 1680x1050, and will mainly be gaming, with some DVD ripping/burning. No real encoding or what not. I looked at the i7, but for a $300-$400 difference I don't think I'll see any real benefit. Anyhow, here's my list:

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP,, $79.99

a) ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45,, $129.99

b) GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45,, $136.99

c) DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2RB LGA 775 Intel X38,, $149.99

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB,, $239.99

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz,, $319.99

RAM: G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800,, $49.99

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA,, $74.99

DVD: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R........2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe,, $28.99

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders,, $99.99

HS: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle,, $36.99

I've already ordered and received a PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W,

Also already ordered and received the Xigmatek bolt thru bracket, since they seemed to be hard to get for awhile. I also have som AS5 already. That's it! Thanks for any input you may have, and sorry for the excessive length of my ramblings!
5 answers Last reply
More about ready pull trigger check
  1. That's a nice build. If I had to choose between those motherboards I'd pick the GA-EP45-UD3P. You can't really go wrong with any of the choices though.
  2. All good choices. I'd favor the GIGABYTE board too. I know the idea of dropping in a 2nd video card later, when the prices really drop, looks really attractive. But for the serious gamer there will aways be that next more demanding game and 2 newer generations of video cards out there. It usually makes more sense to buy a replacement 2Generation newer card than to double up on a older model. But you'll have both options anyway.

    If you're wondering why your linkages aren't working - it's just that the descriptive text goes just before the last /url bracket set
    url=] GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P [/url
  3. Thanks! I didn't even realize my links were not working. Fixed it. So that's 2 votes for the Gigabyte. Looks like that might be my choice then. Is it somewhat noob friendly? I'm sure by reading the guides here and with a little help I can do it no problem, but I don't want to get in over my head first time around. I read the DFI board can be a bit overwhelming for someone like myself. Thanks again!
  4. Good build. Thank god you didn't skimp on the PSU. One of the few threads where I didn't have to bi**h about cr@ppy PSUs. Well done! As for Motherboard I vote for the UD3P. Also consider getting a Q6600 and OCing that. Imo, the Q9550 is a waste/over priced.
  5. Thanks, I got lucky and got the PSU on sale. I've been reading so many of these threads I knew better than to get a cheap POS power supply! I also considered the Q6600. I read quite a few times people who upgraded from a Q6600 to a Q9550 and were real happy. Who knows though. It is ~$100 difference now. Regardless, I think I'll definitely go with the UD3P since it's been unanimous support for it over the other choices. Thanks for the input! I'll post some results once everything comes in and is put together.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product