big_BDS

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Hi all I am going to build a new system after christmas and have started to pic out some of my part some i may buy now because good deal.

by budget is about $1700

so here is what i have

hard dirve: VelociRaptor 150 gb

plus 2 5500gb WD i already have

Case: Cool master 830 Nvida

PSU: Cool Master 850 W

Combo for case and PSU is $320 Shipped :D

MOBO:MSI X58 Eclipse

Graphics:GTX 260 216

CPU: 2.66 ghz

Heat Sink: Thermalright ultra 120

Ram: OCZ 3x2 gb 1600

I will OC to about 4 ghz

I wonder if the 260 216 is good enough expescelly if i plan to get another one down the road of if i should get a 280 after the new year when the 295 coms out and the price on the 280 comes down.

and wonder is 850w is enough power??

also will be getting some 120 mm fans

X3 Greeen APEVIA 120 mm

Scythe 120 mm

this gives me a little room to improve aka more ram and a second gpu in the future

please let me know what you think

O no need for monitor or keyboard & mouse

thanks

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I think you can cut your case and PSU budget in half or at least 2/3 by not ordering an overpriced Nvidia-branded product. I don't know about Cooler Master power supplies. I would swap the case and PSU for a nice Antec 300, 900, or 1200 and a good Antec, Corsair, or PC Power & Cooling PSU. With the money you save, you could get another GTX 260 Core 216 for SLI.

Another way you could save money is by going with one of the WD 640GB drives which will be much larger and nearly as fast as the Velociraptor.

Just my two cents. Looks like a nice build.

Actually that Cooler Master Real Power Pro is made my Enhance (as is the 1000watt model) and a really excellent PSU with a 5year warranty. A good price is around $125 and free shipping
The PC P&C 750 @ $100 after rebate will be plenty of power, is higher quality PSU and saves you money (after rebate).

The GTX260/216 should be plenty of GPU for a 22" 16x10 monitor.
Two GTX260/216 should rock even a 24" 19x12 monitor.

Your memory config surprises me (6 GB). If you can squeeze down to 4 GB (OK, 3.2 GB) you get all the advantages of a 32bit OS vs. a 64bit OS (smaller cache footprint yielding better performance) plus (smaller application/driver compiled footprint =20-40% smaller = faster). Stepping larger to 12 GB is supported by all Vista 64 bit and should get you past paging even with large modules. Hopefully that will offset the larger L1 cache footprint required with 64bit vs. 32 bit.

Suggest you step up to

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i dont agreee with this last post .... this triple chanel setting is nice. I7 drive memory directly from the CPU itself.

Integrated memory controller enables three channels of DDR3 1066 MHz memory, resulting in up to 25.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth. This memory controller's lower latency and higher memory bandwidth delivers amazing performance for data-intensive applications.

from Intel web site.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I would definitely go with 6GB of ram and take advantage of the triple channel.

With a 32-bit OS even less than that 3.2gb figure would be accessible. The graphics card alone has 896MB of ram on it. I bet you wouldn't reach 3GB of usable memory. Definitely go 64-bit.

big_BDS

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
OK I have been looking a cases for a while and really like the coolmaster stacker 830 case and the fact that i am an Nvidia fanboy and am sick of always building computers that are always blue LEDs I thought that a green is not a case color that you see to often accented by green LEDs.

The thing that i do not like about the case is the top mount PSU but the I really do like that it has a good basic style the fact that it has a mother board pull out tray and a non glass side. It also is supposed to have really good air flow. I went with Coolmaster PSU because of the combo I think that it is a good price. I had been looking a PC p&c 750w and still like it I have used it before on a friend’s build the think that I don't like about it was that it was a little nosier then I like. I am not a big fan of the antec cases for myself they are good cases but not what I am after. If any one can recommend a case that is similar to the coolmaster 830 or the coolmaster 690 from any other company let me know

thanks