Letting ALL users run a program

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have XP Pro. I'm the admin account, and there are two "limited" accounts.
("Power User" option doesn't seem to exist on this machine). Here are 2
software installation issues, one which works (the way I'd like it to), and
one which does not. Perhaps someone can explain how to fix "B":

A) Installed Office 2000 while logged on as admin. Afterward, I logged onto
both limited accounts and was able to run all Office apps. The only minor
annoyance was having to respond to the "did you read the EULA" dialog box
for each user.

B) Installed TurboTax while logged on as admin. When I try to run it via
either of the limited accounts, I get a message saying the user must be
logged on as an admin. Or, I can "run as", which I assume means I have to
give the limited user the admin password. Not acceptable.

What's the solution for "B"?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Doug,

The solution to B may be difficult, as the problem is not so much the
account as the way the software is written. It wants to run with admin level
priviledges and you don't want it to. You may need to reinstall the software
using "run as" while logged on as that user. You may also need to change
security permissions on the program folder to give the limited user
sufficient read/write access to run it. This occurs because the program's
installer was not written for this type of user environment, it was written
for an older one that just allowed all users access to critical system files
and folders.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

> Hi Doug,
>
> The solution to B may be difficult, as the problem is not so much the
> account as the way the software is written. It wants to run with admin
level
> priviledges and you don't want it to. You may need to reinstall the
software
> using "run as" while logged on as that user. You may also need to change
> security permissions on the program folder to give the limited user
> sufficient read/write access to run it. This occurs because the program's
> installer was not written for this type of user environment, it was
written
> for an older one that just allowed all users access to critical system
files
> and folders.

Ya know....every year, TurboTax has at least one little surprise built into
it. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to reinstate the pillory in
the town square as a form of mild punishment and ridicule. :)