Possible power supply problem resulting from car crash

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
So I was heading back to college from spring break and the driver hydro planed. We were fine except that I had my computer in the back. First time I turned it on it started up then powered down from cpu overheating. So I opened it up. The fan on the heat sink had come loose and so had the video card. So I reseated both, and checked on all the connections. What happens is this. The fans etc blink on for a brief second then die. So what I did is I one by one disconnected the plugs to see if they were not getting enough power. If I plug in everything but the video card the thing runs fine. Aside from the fact that I have no video card of course. So am I correct in assuming that the crash jostled the power supply in some way that damaged it?
Would this be a powersupply problem at all?

Specs:
3.4 Pentium D CPU
Asus P5N-E SLI mobo
2 gig of ram
GeForce 9800 gtx+

Thanks for any help you can give.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
+1 to that. If unwilling to do that, video card may have been damaged when you powered up with it not plugged in correctly. Try refitting it agaun and check all required power leads are connected to video card>

Mike.

Lots of factors to consider, a screw could have come loose and lodged behind the mobo, something in the PSU could have become loose from the impact, a connector could be loose, but not completey out of socket. I'd disassemble the whole rig, checking parts as you go and then reassemble it.

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I checked all plugs. They seem good. I took it to a computer store today and the fellow checked the circuits with some kind of reading device. It read the circuits as being fine. It did not test it under load though.

As for graphics card I believe its working fine. The fan still goes and stuff.