I think jaydee just spent the last of AMD's annual advertising budget with that post.

I'll spend ATI's now ... when your on a good thing ...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/408/1051408/ati-4890-asic

Funny thing is people will buy what is great at their best price point.

That puts the cheap Phenom II quad's and triples in a good position as well as the 4850 and some of the 4870 and 4870X2's depending ... once again ... what your willing to pay.

Sticking 3 280 NVidia cards on a top of the wozza i7 (read nitro dragster) isn't exactly affordable for everyone ... especially factoring in a gold leaf mobo etc.

Not to say I would knock back the latter ... which AMD can't compete with.

Mind you with a 19" monitor who needs a nitro dragster ...

Still Mr Intel ... I'd like to buy into that halo effect.

heh heh

Havn't seen much on these i5's yet ... very interested in reading more about that.

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
This is hardly supprising news,

AMD made a CPU that could adapt and slip into most existing motherboards without having to change it, saving £/$, this is where the market is.

Where as Intel dispite there Genius at making zilla CPUs forgot one of the most important things, > there customers !!.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
The problem might be that intel moved beyond todays market. We've seen a lot of reports about how the i7 is the future chip, but what if it really is? What if the gains are so small that it won't make people give out a lot for little gains.

Intel is also hoping to please the rich or willing to invest a lot consumer, but what about the people who want to just have a nice computer to do a bit of gaming and surfing? Why would they buy a i7. Yes I know Intel still has his core2 systems to sell, but a lot of people are waiting for the i5 or going for the phenomII, because that is/will be enough for them.

Same with Nvidia really. They are trying to sell to a market that is no longer here. The idea isn't bad, if they have the best top end card, they should have good cards throughout the line, but alas it's not true. I'm not saying Nvidia has bad cards, but there is a big gap in tech between the 250 and 260. For the average Joe it doesn't matter, but the 250 is already labeled negatively and we aren't looking for rebranding, we wanted to see the future card for the budget market.

Amd is not perfect, but they have a few good plans and they are executing things good atm. On both the video card and cpu market they are walking 1 step behind or more, but at the same time, they are bringing things people need, the best you can buy for your money for a lot of people. If you have too much money, the AMD is not a logical choice, but when you need a computer that doesn't drain your money completely, AMD becomes a better choice than Intel and Nvidia at some points throughout the line.

I'm happy AMD is finally getting their act together again and I hope we will see a lot more changes in the near future.

perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
im genuinly happy with how things are going in the market atm. fair play to amd, they are finally managing to climb out of the hole they got stuck in with the whole core2/quad thing.

amd +1 for marketing and not trying to be the all out the best
intel +1 for pure e-penis components XD

perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
ha, i didnt even take any notice of the website. me and my sleepy state. hmmm, ill think il take it with a pinch, *ahem* bucket of salt

ulysses35

Distinguished
Whooop Whooop AMD fanboys alert.

Admittedly the I7 is way over priced compared to the AMD P2's... but what about the Q9550 / Q9650 from Intel ? from the benchmarks I have seen they beat the P2's in most cases.

LumberWagon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

Perhaps a better description would be that Intel has "evolutionized" more tech than AMD...from processors to SSD, they have built/improved upon other basic designs, whereas AMD actually went from being a simple fabricator of Intel chips to having its own CPU,GPU and chipset designs.

Could be a SMALL kink in unstopable;

Quote by By Benjamin Pimentel, MarketWatch dtd today
"This is not surprising," he said. "Intel believes that the agreement between Intel and AMD is an agreement that cannot be extended to the GlobalFoundries joint venture. AMD, of course does not agree. I think it speaks volumes to the tension between these two companies. This is probably just the opening scene of a story that will play out for quite some time."
Analyst Brian Piccioni of BMO Capital Markets said "it would be a mistake to assume that Intel does not have a legal basis upon which to make their assertion."
But he said Intel could also be using the issue as leverage in the antitrust battle
END Quote

You can read the entire artical here (and please don't flame the messager)
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amd-says-intel-threatening-end/story.aspx?guid=%7BC47C1DB9%2D374F%2D46B9%2D981A%2DA15554FDB6E8%7D&dist=TQP_Mod_mktwN

Well there's that, plus the fact that the desktop market may shrink by up to 30% in the current economy, whereas the netbook market where AMD forgot to compete is projected to increase by 80% this year.

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

You're as obvious as Intel is. You're worried!

There isn’t much difference between Intel and AMD with regards to performance.

In March 2009 AMD's Phenom over-clocked to 6.5Ghz and cost $840 less then a Core i7.

AMD kills Intel with regards to performance/cost.

Intel fan-boys have more money than brains. They are brainwashed and can’t face the fact that AMD is a better choice.

Eventually Intel fanbois like yourself will have to change your immature footer graphic. AMD WILL win the war.

The antitrust lawsuit is right around the corner. And all articles that I have read relate that AMD has the advantage.

It's all over the web now:
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/03/amd-intel-engaged-in-x86-licensing-staredown.ars

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009

Q9550 is 75 bucks more than Phenom II X4 940 BE...Q9650 is 125 more.

The performance increase doesn't justify that kind of a price margin.

LMAO.

LOL! No kidding.

I have news for all. I, TC, am no longer a disgruntled AMD Fanboy. I'm now.... now....

An Intel fanboy!

Yes, I finally caved in and did some upgrading. I retired my old Opteron 175 (S939) and I've gone to an Intel Quad Core. The difference is of course amazing, especially in GTA IV, and that's using the same exact video card (8800 GTX).

I have switched.... To Intel... This actually was my very first Intel build.

Also, BaronMatrix, if you're still out there, I'll be visiting Manahattan for a week in late June, see you there!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

You're solely mistaken if starting a flame thread is your goal. You gotta try harder.

Oh yeh, Pentium 4 631 was overclocked to 8.2Ghz and cost about 25% of a Phenom II 940 BE. Big deal.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009

OH yeah, an old single core at 8.2 definitely beats a 45nm quad at 6.5

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

Congrats on a new rig, TC!

Kinda sad, though. TC without his Opty - seems like the end of an era.